Huddersfield (H) - Sun 7th Jan, 14:00 | FA Cup | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite memory of playing Huddersfield was on New Years’ Day in 1966. City had been involved with a tight promotion race from Division 2 with Huddersfield (league leaders at the time) and Coventry City.

City needed a win that day and it attracted a massive crowd that day of 47,171. This compared to the previous home match against Leyton Orient with 16,202 attending. The previous season, there were 15,704 for the visit of Huddersfield.

It was a brilliant match won 2-0 by City with goals from Crossan and Doyle. After that, we really believed that City would be promoted. Subsequently City moved up the table from third to first and eventually finished top by five points.

Below City, it was Southampton who also were promoted with Huddersfield and Coventry squeezed out. Bristol City and Wolves were also within four points of Southampton.

My favourite memory of playing Huddersfield was on New Years’ Day in 1966. City had been involved with a tight promotion race from Division 2 with Huddersfield (league leaders at the time) and Coventry City.

City needed a win that day and it attracted a massive crowd that day of 47,171. This compared to the previous home match against Leyton Orient with 16,202 attending. The previous season, there were 15,704 for the visit of Huddersfield.

It was a brilliant match won 2-0 by City with goals from Crossan and Doyle. After that, we really believed that City would be promoted. Subsequently City moved up the table from third to first and eventually finished top by five points.

Below City, it was Southampton who also were promoted with Huddersfield and Coventry squeezed out. Bristol City and Wolves were also within four points of Southampton.
I have fond memories of that game. The day before was New Years Eve and I was at a party in Northern Moor area of Wythenshawe. The guy who was hosting the party announced just after midnight that Ralph Brand lived not far away. So twelve pissed up Wythenshawe lads decided it would be the decent thing to help a Scot in a foreign land welcome in the new year. We knocked on the door, I think it was johnny Crossan who answered and he amazingly invited us all in. Most of the City team that would be playing that day were there. We had a few drinks and left. The team amazingly played brilliant and won a hard fought game 2-1. My everlasting memory is Johny Crosson puking up on the pitch mid game.

Last edited:
I have my season ticket and my 2 lads season tickets all on my phone. On Sunday my eldest needs to make his own way to the match. Does anyone know (a) can I transfer his season ticket from my phone to his phone? (b) if I go down to the ground will I be able to get him a paper ticket for this game as a one off?

Would like to see Kev, Doku, and Haaland all on the bench Sunday, and if all is going well with 15-20 to go bring them on

Just looking back at my match day programme for the 10-1.Huddersfield league game ..

I'd completely forgotten we went absolutely goal crazy for about 6 weeks either side of the 10 -1 back in 87-88 season..

We'd gone to top of the league Bradford City and put 4 past them, demolished 1st division Nottingham Forest 3nil at Maine road,putting the league cup holders out,went to Swindon in the league and put 4 past them,10 past Huddersfield,then beat Plymouth 6-2 in the old Simod cup just 3 days after udders, then beat Reading 2nil at Elms Park...1st division high flying Watford were next in the league cup 4th round at Maine Road, despatched 3nil with a master class from Lake..
Then Birmingham City were beaten 3nil at Maine rd.

The buzz amongst the crowd was electric, especially away from home with the inflatable bananas etc etc now a full-blown Blue Craze.

Maine rd ticket prices for the match against Plymouth were;
Main stand adults - £3.50 juniors and OAPs £2,50
Kippax street - £2.50 and £2.00.

Happy Days.

I have fond memories of that game. The day before was New Years Eve and I was at a party in Northern Moor area of Wythenshawe. The guy who was hosting the party announced just after midnight that Ralph Brand lived not far away. So twelve pissed up Wythenshawe lads decided it would be the decent thing to help a Scot in a foreign land welcome in the new year. We knocked on the door, I think it was johnny Crossan who answered and he amazingly invited us all in. Most of the City team that would be playing that day were there. We had a few drinks and left. The team amazingly played brilliant and won a hard fought game 2-1. My everlasting memory is Johny Crosson puking up on the pitch mid game.
The opposition must have been in some state so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.