Huddersfield (H) - Sun 7th Jan, 14:00 | FA Cup | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite memory of playing Huddersfield was on New Years’ Day in 1966. City had been involved with a tight promotion race from Division 2 with Huddersfield (league leaders at the time) and Coventry City.

City needed a win that day and it attracted a massive crowd that day of 47,171. This compared to the previous home match against Leyton Orient with 16,202 attending. The previous season, there were 15,704 for the visit of Huddersfield.

It was a brilliant match won 2-0 by City with goals from Crossan and Doyle. After that, we really believed that City would be promoted. Subsequently City moved up the table from third to first and eventually finished top by five points.

Below City, it was Southampton who also were promoted with Huddersfield and Coventry squeezed out. Bristol City and Wolves were also within four points of Southampton.

To be honest we usually win these types of games 4/5 nil.
And that would be fine, but I can honestly say I wouldn't at all mind if we won it 1-0, but above all walked away with no other injuries. I have always loved and respected the F.A. Cup, doubtless linked to the glamour that was attached to it when I was growing up — when it was still just about as important as winning the First Division. It's also not insignificant that it allowed us to win our first European trophy. The old stadium had to go, but I've never quite got over the loss of those twin towers. Pulling into Wembley Park, and glancing down Wembley Way and seeing those twin towers would always get the adrenalin racing through your blood.
Having now seen great moments for us in the new stadium, I've grown fonder of it than I was. But it will always grate on me that those bloody seats are red. Why did they have to be red? Why not something more neutral, like white? Or black. I'm not asking for sky blue. Just anything except red.
But I realise as this season is now gathering pace that my number one priority would be to win that fourth title in a row.And for that we need everyone on deck. More important even than another Champions League title. It would truly piss a lot of people off for us to do what has never been done before.

My favourite memory of playing Huddersfield was on New Years’ Day in 1966. City had been involved with a tight promotion race from Division 2 with Huddersfield (league leaders at the time) and Coventry City.

City needed a win that day and it attracted a massive crowd that day of 47,171. This compared to the previous home match against Leyton Orient with 16,202 attending. The previous season, there were 15,704 for the visit of Huddersfield.

It was a brilliant match won 2-0 by City with goals from Crossan and Doyle. After that, we really believed that City would be promoted. Subsequently City moved up the table from third to first and eventually finished top by five points.

Below City, it was Southampton who also were promoted with Huddersfield and Coventry squeezed out. Bristol City and Wolves were also within four points of Southampton.
City also had a tremendous run in the FA Cup that year too; starting two days after the Huddersfield game on 3rd January 1966.,,against Blackpool,an outstanding run to the quarter finals, needing replays in nearly every tie.

The 6th round tie against 1st div Everton went to two replays ,after a 0-0 draw at both Maine rd ...and Goodison( Stan Horne's greatest ever game for City) before losing 2nil in the 2nd replay on neutral ground.

1966 could have been a league and cup double year,which would have been an outstanding season,but beating a top top team like Everton was a step too far for us...at that time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.