Huddersfield (H) - Sun 7th Jan, 14:00 | FA Cup | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to Sunday, hopefully Oscar Bobb will start and get another opportunity to impress..I doubt Kev and Doku will start but I think Pep will be looking to give them both some game time.

Should be a decent atmosphere, full house and 6000 Huddersfield fans.

City also had a tremendous run in the FA Cup that year too; starting two days after the Huddersfield game on 3rd January 1966.,,against Blackpool,an outstanding run to the quarter finals, needing replays in nearly every tie.

The 6th round tie against 1st div Everton went to two replays ,after a 0-0 draw at both Maine rd ...and Goodison( Stan Horse's greatest ever game for City) before losing 2nil in the 2nd replay on neutral ground.

1966 could have been a league and cup double year,which would have been an outstanding season,but beating a top top team like Everton was a step too far for us...at that time.
I was at all the Cup matches that season including the second replay with Everton at Molineux.

I particularly recall the 1-0 win in a replay at Leicester after a 2-2 draw at Maine Road. City seemed to play Leicester in every cup competition (seven matches in four seasons: 1965-1969). City only lost once in that sequence.

It was disappointing to lose to Everton m, but the priority for City was promotion and they were involved in a very tight race with Huddersfield, Coventry, and Southampton. Promotion was only clinched at Rotherham a month after the loss to Everton.

How equipped City would have been to face United in a FA Cup semi-final remains in doubt? Equally they would also have had to contend with Sheffield Wednesday in the final.

I was at all the Cup matches that season including the second replay with Everton at Molineux.

I particularly recall the 1-0 win in a replay at Leicester after a 2-2 draw at Maine Road. City seemed to play Leicester in every cup competition (seven matches in four seasons: 1965-1969). City only lost once in that sequence.

It was disappointing to lose to Everton m, but the priority for City was promotion and they were involved in a very tight race with Huddersfield, Coventry, and Southampton. Promotion was only clinched at Rotherham a month after the loss to Everton.

How equipped City would have been to face United in a FA Cup semi-final remains in doubt? Equally they would also have had to contend with Sheffield Wednesday in the final.
Yes we did seem to draw Leicester all the time. I think Nellie scored the winner, rolled under Banks and we wore all maroon. As usual overshadowed by United that night who won away at Benfica.

That does still seem a decent line up, even with the absentees. We may not get away with starting with 12 though!

If we play that line up we will be kicked out of the fa cup

If we start with 12 players it'll bring the charges up to 116.

Fuck it, throw one more in the team and we can play them at rugby league

You could bring in Ake or Gvaridol and play Akanji in midfield
Bobb would miss out ?

You eagled eyed lot are the competition winners, so well done to you all.

Forgot to delete Hamilton :D

Normally a home tie like this would feel like a bit of a chore, especially with the ko time, but the prospect of possibly seeing Haaland, De Bruyne and Doku involved in some capacity has got me looking forward to it. Even if they don’t get on the pitch I imagine there’s a decent chance Bobb gets a start, which will do for me.

I remember the 2-2 draw at Maine Road as it was my second ever game (Orient Dec 65 5-0 the first) we came back from 0-2 down Joe described it as our best ever performance since he took over. 2 stand outs for me as an 8 year old being how brilliant Gordon Banks was and also bemused why we played in all Maroon

Yes we did seem to draw Leicester all the time. I think Nellie scored the winner, rolled under Banks and we wore all maroon. As usual overshadowed by United that night who won away at Benfica.
Yes but we were able to celebrate later when United were knocked out by Partisan Belgrade.

To the tune of the Beach Boys: Barbara Ann: we sung Par Par Par Par Partizan!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.