Huddlestones goal

BoredSpursFan said:
I don't really think City fans can moan too much about us getting decisions anyway, you had 3 very big decisions go your way in your last game against Newcastle, could have been a very different result another day.

Huddlestones goal stands and rightly so, its within the current laws, but the debate as to the law is for another day.

And these THREE decisions in our favour were what exactly ?

For me we had ONE decision go our way, the penalty they should have had, yes should have been given, but it wasn't.

The other two....

I'm sure you are alluding to the tackle from De Jong that the ref and linesman were about 10 yards away from, both with clear views, as well as several Newcastle players, and not a single one of them thought it a foul, not one ! You know why ? It wasn't. The media storm that followed was a joke, sad that the lad broke his leg but that is football.

The other I'm sure you mean was the penalty we got, well it was very clumsy tackle, in fact a foul in my book, and it was right on the edge of the box. I sit dead in line with it and the edge of the box, and it looked a dead cert at full speed, only replays in super slow motion show it was outside. So TV hindsight is wonderful thing.

We also had a decision go against us, that might have changed the game, but the million highlights didn't show that one, because it didn't involve De Jong, but Newcastle could easily have a had a player sent off for a quite nasty tackle Tiote, can't remember who it was on now, but on another day it could have been a straight red, as there was no attempt to get the ball.

Carver said:
Mooney I wasn't contradicting your post there, I was still writing as you posted.

note.. where it says 'touching' this is from the attacking side, not the defending side, if it's an attacker's deflection it counts, if it's a defender's it doesn't.

-- Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:12 pm --

Marcspurs... yes, my point on distraction is conjecture and it's in the opinion of the ref that he wasn't distracting him, so fair point, however, I maintain that he was seeking to gain an advantage which you cannot possibly deny.

Offside!
I'll say from the start I didn't see any need to alter the offside rules and I'm cynical about a grey are being introduced which can then be interpreted to favour one side or another.
In the context of the rules as they are now: as Galas doesn't touch the ball and, from my view on MOTD, the the keeper dives as if Galas wasn't there, what advantage does Galas gain (from your earlier post the rule doesn't mention 'seeking to' gain an advantage)?

dave_blue12 said:
Should definitely have been disallowed !

Gallas goes for the ball when in an offside position, only missing the ball by a fraction, possibly distracting the goalkeeper and so must be deemed as active

Very poor decision !

Have to agree with you .....

if Gallas was close enough to the ball to attempt to deflect it , he was close enough to be interfering with play .... and put the goalkeeper off!

it shouldn't have been given .......

if shwarzer had made to dive or block at gallas, it wouldnt have been given, imo. i'm pretty sure city have lost out and have had the benefit of goals where a player in an offside position has failed in an attempt to play the ball with a head or foot. as a general rule, i think such goals should stand, except where the attacker is causing an obstruction or otherwise taking the piss.

Project said:
Who can you possibly say that Gallas wasn't in the keepers line of sight? He was stood at his post! He wasn't directly in front of him, but your field of vision is slightly wider than that! Shearer is an utter clown.

He was active, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if Schwarzers dive was affected or not. The rule doesn't make a concession for that.

Yes it does! The rule is quite specific on the matter.

As has previously been posted, Gallas being active or inactive is irrelevant. The only relevant question is: in the opinion of the referee, was Schwarzer distracted or deceived by Gallas' movement for the ball?

-- Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:50 pm --

mike channon´s windmill said:
Should be flagged up from the moment it left Hundredstone´s foot - Gallas impeding keepers view - active - end of

Watch it again. Gallas didn't impede Schwarzer's view at all. End of!

-- Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:09 pm --

dannybcity said:
JimB said:
Sorry, fella, but the referee hasn't "interpreted the rule wrong".

The relevant section reads:

"interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an
opponent

Did Gallas make a movement towards the ball? Certainly.

Is it possible that such a movement could, in other circumstances, have deceived or distracted a goalkeeper? Absolutely.

But, in this instance, Schwarzer was already in full flight, diving to his right to make the save. His movement didn't (indeed, couldn't) deviate one iota from its original trajectory, despite Gallas' attempted intervention. The simple truth is that there was no way that Schwarzer was ever going to be able to make the save - Gallas or no Gallas.

And that was clearly Mike Dean's opinion. As far as he was concerned, Gallas' attempted intervention didn't deceive or distract Schwarzer. And since the rule specifically states that such decisions must be a judgement call by the referee, he was entirely within his rights to overrule the linesman.

You could argue that Dean interpreted the events on the pitch incorrectly - that Schwarzer was deceived / distracted and that he would have made the save if Gallas hadn't made a play for the ball (though the video evidence suggests that you would be wrong to do so).

But you can't argue that Dean interpreted the rule incorrectly.

I can't agree Jim, Schwarzer can't fully commit to the save until the ball has passed Gallas therefore he has deceived Schwarzer (he's effectively dummied it) which has also distracted him. It's completely irrelevent whtehr he's stood directly in the way, he's still in his peripheral version. I've no dount Dean knows the wording of the rule inside out, he either doesn't understand how the game is played (which is criminal for a Premiership ref) or he has applied it wrong which in my book is akin to bad interpretation.

He's caused a talking point I suppose though and there's nothing better than a debate about the offside rule.

Having watched the replay quite a few times: Schwarzer was already fully committed to the dive before Gallas' intervention. He was mid leap. No part of his body position or trajectory changed as Gallas stretched for the ball. His body and arm remained fully stretched. All of which suggests to me that Schwarzer was neither distracted nor deceived.

I appreciate that you could ask whether Schwarzer might not have urged a bit more length and speed into his dive and stretched his body, arm and fingers a fraction more if Gallas hadn't made a play for the ball. But Mike Dean obviously didn't think so.

So it comes down to a judgement call. And that inevitably leads to some controversy. But, on this occasion, I think there's enough video evidence at least to give Mike Dean the benefit of the doubt.

-- Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:13 pm --

goat boy said:
What I was saying there is that , as I saw it, Shwarzer had already commited that way while the ball was travelling from Huddlestone's foot, and the keeper was beaten by the shot. Rendering Gallas and his postion totally irrelevant, imo. Therefore a good call by both the linesman and then the referee.

That's how I saw it too. And Mike Dean, it seems!<br /><br />-- Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:24 pm --<br /><br />
Carver said:
The point of conjecture here is that Gallas was clearly in an offside position

Actually, Gallas was only in an offside position by a matter of inches.

Yes, that's still in an offside offside position. I only stress the point because it appears to have become an accepted impression that Gallas was standing all alone, miles offside.

Jamie Redknapp today said the Huddlestone goal should have been disallowed because he 'knows for a fact' that Gallas touched it. That tells me that Gallas told the team and 'Arry that he touched it and Jamie had been on the phone with his Dad.

kenzie115 said:
Jamie Redknapp today said the Huddlestone goal should have been disallowed because he 'knows for a fact' that Gallas touched it. That tells me that Gallas told the team and 'Arry that he touched it and Jamie had been on the phone with his Dad.

An interesting theory.........except for the fact that replays show that Gallas didn't touch it. Go figure!

JimB said:
kenzie115 said:

An interesting theory.........except for the fact that replays show that Gallas didn't touch it. Go figure!

Who gives a fuck Jim, this was miles off side;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5EjsHqqVNo[/youtube]

I can live with it.

The fact the refs haven't come out and said anything, and various pundits are disagreeing, not to mention people on here can't make their mind up, no one is 100% sure of the rule

I personally think it should be a goal, unless we revert back to the old style rule, that was so much easier to understand. You have to remember each person has a different opinion on what's active and interfering with play.

Is this thread another pop at Spurs because City have got the rub of the green the last few games. I don't believe in this crap Spurs get lucky all the time, we get stitched up regularly every season by incompetent refs.

"interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an
opponent

So, an attacker who is in an "offside position" makes no movement towards the ball as it rolls past him. However, as soon as a defender gets between him and the ball, he turns to sprint after the ball behind the defender.

Offside? Why, given the ruling above?

NOT obstructing anyone's line of view, or from playing the ball, or deceiving the opponent (he let him get ahead of him to get to the ball) or distracting the opponent, because he is nowhere near the ball and not even in the defender field of view! If you say he IS doing ANY of those, how is Gallas sliding in on goal, WHILE ALREADY IN AN "OFFSIDE POSITION," AND WELL WITHIN THE KEEPER'S FIELD OF VISION ON THE SHOT, NOT OFFSIDE?

Dean has made a VERY poor interpretation of the rule, which is interpreted in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WAY than every other instance I have EVER seen since this "active/inactive" BS started.

And, for the record, I couldn't care less if it was Spuds or Accrington Stanley, IT WAS OFFSIDE!

ChicagoBlue

(And Tevez was NOT offside for the first goal at the Seasiders!!!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.