HUGE game-Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Napoli V Manchester City Pre-Match Thread

Write up from the Guardian.... I think both sets of fans are up for this!

The reality is that Napoli have failed so far this season to recapture the scintillating form that led them to a title challenge last term. While the capacity for devastating counterattacking football remains, it has been seen only in patches – most notably during the first meeting with City. A squad that were perhaps not quite ready for the dual demands of league and Champions League campaigns have too often looked fatigued, while Mazzarri's attempts to rotate the team before big European games have invariably backfired.

Most importantly, though, key performers have lacked their customary sharpness. Edinson Cavani suffered a punctured tyre on his way home from dinner after the draw against Lazio, but it is his flat performances on the pitch that have been of greater concern. The man after whom a city has now named not only a calzone, but also a coffee and a brand of liqueur, has still managed a respectable four goals from nine league games – but at the corresponding point last season he had eight.

Similarly, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Marek Hamsik have not quite hit the heights they are capable of, even if the former did score his first goal at home in over a year against Udinese last month. It is also true that they are victims in part of their own success. As opponents have become more aware of Napoli's counterattacking prowess, they have tended to sit back more and challenge Mazzarri's side to break them down – something this team have struggled to do.

But the one thing Napoli can be assured of on Tuesday night is raucous backing. A fanbase who made themselves heard loud and clear as a minority at Eastlands have been waiting for matches like this since the days of Diego Maradona. Queues lasting several hours have been a common sight at ticket kiosks across the city in recent days and the club is expecting its highest ever gate receipts from this match.

Mario will 150% play in his first match in Italy since joining us. Also, Richards must play because Zaba doesnt get forward much and last time, because of this, their midget fulback Zuniga had a field day against us. Micah will make Zuniga defend.<br /><br />-- Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:44 pm --<br /><br />Aguero was in the preview on the website. This means he'll definitely play tomorrow.

I'd reckon:

Richards----komps----lescott----Kolarov
----------De jong-------Barry-------------
-----------------Yaya-------------------
---Aguero---------Balo------------Silva

Jumanji said:
Mario will 150% play in his first match in Italy since joining us. Also, Richards must play because Zaba doesnt get forward much and last time, because of this, their midget fulback Zuniga had a field day against us. Micah will make Zuniga defend.

-- Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:44 pm --

Aguero was in the preview on the website. This means he'll definitely play tomorrow.

I'd reckon:

Think Dzeko will start as Balo played Saturday and Napoli fans would probably try to wind him up with endless racial abuse. Otherwise probably spot on.

andrewmswift said:
Jumanji said:
Mario will 150% play in his first match in Italy since joining us. Also, Richards must play because Zaba doesnt get forward much and last time, because of this, their midget fulback Zuniga had a field day against us. Micah will make Zuniga defend.

Aguero was in the preview on the website. This means he'll definitely play tomorrow.

I'd reckon:

Think Dzeko will start as Balo played Saturday and Napoli fans would probably try to wind him up with endless racial abuse. Otherwise probably spot on.
Balotelli will play. It's in Italy. It'd be like going to Bosnia and sitting Dzeko on the bench. It just wouldn't happen. Remember Balo has Serie A experience and will be very motivated as he thrives in: big games, hostile atmospheres.

Let's also keep in mind that this game will mean more to Balotelli than any of our players because it's a return home for him and he will want to impress on live television. :)

Mancini subsituted Balotelli pretty early against Newcastle, so no doubt he'll play against Napoli.

Jumanji said:
andrewmswift said:
Jumanji said:

I'd reckon:

Balotelli will play. It's in Italy. It'd be like going to Bosnia and sitting Dzeko on the bench. It just wouldn't happen. Remember Balo has Serie A experience and will be very motivated as he thrives in: big games, hostile atmospheres.

Let's also keep in mind that this game will mean more to Balotelli than any of our players because it's a return home for him and he will want to impress on live television. :)

Mancini subsituted Balotelli pretty early against Newcastle, so no doubt he'll play against Napoli.

I also think Dzeko will start. He was rested against Newcastle in preparation for this game.

Paolo Cannavaro revealing some nerves:

Napoli captain Paolo Cannavaro claims Edin Dzeko is the Manchester City player his side most fear.

The build-up in to Tuesday night's sell-out Champions League clash in Naples' San Paolo stadium has been dominated by increasing interest from Italian sides in City outcast Carlos Tevez.

But Cannavaro - the younger brother of Italy's World Cup-winning captain, Fabio - insisted the Bosnian striker is now the Blues' most dangerous player.

"We are ready, but I fear, above all, Dzeko," said the centre-back. "For me, he is the best centre-forward at the moment. I played against him last year when we played a friendly against Wolfsburg and he was really difficult to mark. He is so strong physically."

OR. Dzeko wasn't played because Mancini didn't want him up against Newcastle...It doesn't necessarily mean that Dzeko was rested for Napoli.

byronic said:
Paolo Cannavaro revealing some nerves:

Napoli captain Paolo Cannavaro claims Edin Dzeko is the Manchester City player his side most fear.

The build-up in to Tuesday night's sell-out Champions League clash in Naples' San Paolo stadium has been dominated by increasing interest from Italian sides in City outcast Carlos Tevez.

But Cannavaro - the younger brother of Italy's World Cup-winning captain, Fabio - insisted the Bosnian striker is now the Blues' most dangerous player.

"We are ready, but I fear, above all, Dzeko," said the centre-back. "For me, he is the best centre-forward at the moment.
trying to keep Mario out I think

Jumanji said:
OR. Dzeko wasn't played because Mancini didn't want him up against Newcastle...It doesn't necessarily mean that Dzeko was rested for Napoli.

Mancini has started Dzeko every time after being an unused substitute. You may be right, but it would take a change in management style from Mancini to be so.

Milner has to start ahead of Barry. I'm not a Milner fan but he has grown a lot on me lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.