Hughes on SSN

C_T_I_D said:
Stuart Downing isn't an improvement on Martin Petrov.

Petrov is crocked and is the wrong side of 30. Downing is a kid who will improve. We need a left sided midfielder. I can't argue with you, it makes me feel arrogant

Could this tie into Cooks comment re. younger international players? Downing is very hit and miss, squad player behind Petrov for me (when Petrov is fit.)

Good player with prem experience (which is what we could do with to some degree) but not sure he's worth the stated £12m. Maybe £6/7m would be about right, certainly not much more than that. Indeed, if we do sign for circa £6.5m then I'd be reasonably happy as he'd give us a decent option down the left hand side which we're currently missing.

C_T_I_D said:

He's an improvement on an non-playing Petrov. Petrov was my own player of the season last year, but he has his limitations, can we agree on that? If Martin loses his pace, he won't be half the player, unless he suddenly turns into a tackling, tracking back, dribbling maniac. We need a squad that, next season, can challenge in all comps, including UEFA (not sure IF we can get in there again, but...there's no point planning for failure). In anycase, though we aren't looking good now, it is possible that we can get things going and I'd be stunned if the likes of Villa don't come seriously unstuck at some point with injuries...all it takes is a fall in training and a broken collar bone or dislocated shoulder...

Even if Hughes has played blokes out of their ideal position etc etc etc etc etc, it's my opinion we have conceded goals, and had players sent off (and have lost points) that have nothing to do with tactics or position but are independent of them. Even the goal against on Saturday had nothing to do with near post, far post, or even Dunne and that dodgy header, but a piece of rotten defending REGARDLESS of what had been going on the previous 91 minutes, or the preceding games...I think individual balls up and a couple of mad tackles have cost us 6-9 points this season...that would make all the difference...a few dodgy refs at the beginning as well.

Alright my luvs? Chins up!

Not sure I believe this about Downing, does it mean that Petrov is written off? However, if true then surely it's a good buy and at that price not too outrageous either. Downing has consistently been one of the top assist providers in the Prem for the last few seasons, he's youngish, English and knows the Prem inside out. If he was already playing for a bigger club he would not get slated half as much as he does. He also tracks back to help out defensively. If he is being signed then it makes the signing of RSC or someone simliar more likely as we would need someone to get on the end of his crosses. Also he would help balance the side. With his crossing ability on one side and SWPs pace and trickery on the other, coupled with both of their work rates we would be good going forwards and better defensively from the middle.

sdavros said:
C_T_I_D said:

Petrov is crocked and is the wrong side of 30. Downing is a kid who will improve. We need a left sided midfielder. I can't argue with you, it makes me feel arrogant

I'd have to agree, he would defo improve the squad and we need premiership proven players who will graft not a load of free loaders, as said before hughes signing's in Zabi/Kompany/SWp are all up there with are best players this season, I trsu him for now we'll see by the end of Jan, would like Diarra though despite MAdrid, not woth 20 though lets swap Elano plus cash!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.