Hughes Transfer Strategy ?

Re: Is Mark Hughes a coward?

moomba said:
AIQ88 said:
Would anyone like to have 4-5 players on the field who are playing their first few games in the English Premiership?

If they're quality players with the potential to be better than what we have I'd be more than happy.

I agree, moomba. It is wrong, in principle, to restrict your transfer activity to players who are proven in the PL. It excludes obvious class like Arshavin, Torres and so on (not that I'm saying we should've gone for Arshavin, as I doubt we could have got him).

Given the expectations placed on the club and the management, and the fact that we're bringing in so many new players - half a team, more or less - you can see, in the specific situation, why Hughes wants players who know what the league is all about. Our team will be 40-50% new, so he wants to limit the risk that several players will take a long time to get up to speed.

What would be a worry is if his transfer policy, over the long term, is exclusively 'PL proven' as it's too restrictive. Given that he's signed Zab, VK, de Jong [and Robinho?] there's no suggestion this is the case - but if it is, he'll fail IMO.

What would also worry me is the situation where, say, we fail to sign Lescott and instead look at a second rate PL player, instead of looking abroad for a quality centre half. We need to wait and see on that one, of course.

Re: Is Mark Hughes a coward?

Braggster said:
What would also worry me is the situation where, say, we fail to sign Lescott and instead look at a second rate PL player, instead of looking abroad for a quality centre half. We need to wait and see on that one, of course.

Yea that's exactly the point mate and remains to be seen

The Fat el Hombre said:
mrbelfry said:
Haven't we tried as a mid-table prem team to buy Kaka, Eto'o and England captain Terry? haven't we also enquired about Buffon, Villa and Silva?

to call anyone at City a coward for who we've targeted with Hughes on board is well far from the mark.

Good overseas foreign player = Jo @ 19m
Good proven prem striker = Ade @ 20m. who would you rather have in the team this year

Kompany £6 million or Kolo Toure £16 million

There will be some good deals abroad and some good deals from the prem. We seem to be running out of prem options now and appear to be scraping the bottom of the barrel

Which one of our signings is scraping the barrel?

I'd say it's our transfer targets that worry me more, although Toure is the first player that doesn't really tick the required boxes of what we need.

The Fat el Hombre said:
I'd say it's our transfer targets that worry me more, although Toure is the first player that doesn't really tick the required boxes of what we need.

I actually was excited in January when City were linked to Kolo Toure (despite him being cup tied for the UEFA Cup). But saying that I just thought it was bait just to try lure Yaya Toure to Eastlands.

However, despite Toure 'average' season at Arsenal last season, I think he would work wonders with any one of Micah Richards, Nedum Onuoha, Joleon Lescott (if we get him) and Richard Dunne. I could even see a centre-half pairing of Vincent Kompany and Toure working to great effect.

He's got leadership skills, pace and strength... to me that ticks the boxes I think are relevant to help our poor defence record.

chrisb182 said:
The Fat el Hombre said:

I actually was excited in January when City were linked to Kolo Toure (despite him being cup tied for the UEFA Cup). But saying that I just thought it was bait just to try lure Yaya Toure to Eastlands.

However, despite Toure 'average' season at Arsenal last season, I think he would work wonders with any one of Micah Richards, Nedum Onuoha, Joleon Lescott (if we get him) and Richard Dunne. I could even see a centre-half pairing of Vincent Kompany and Toure working to great effect.

He's got leadership skills, pace and strength... to me that ticks the boxes I think are relevant to help our poor defence record.

Micah and Ned are too short to accompany Toure in central defence I think. We need someone more like Lescott and Bruno Alves to do this. There is a huge uncertainty about our ability to defend well in the air, and a great centre half who is king in the air and can read the game well and position himself wisely would be the way to go to get the best out of Toure I think. That our DM is only 5 feet is also abit of problem to be honest. Our opposition in the upcoming season could defend deep and try to nick some goals from set pieces. We need to be aware of this and act accordingly. What do you think chris?

If we don't strengthen further I think the centre back pairing will have to be Dunne and Toure, or Dunne and Ned. Kolo needs an organiser alongside of him, and someone that can play against a dominating type of forward.

Personally I'd go with Dunne and Ned.

Somud said:
chrisb182 said:

Micah and Ned are too short to accompany Toure in central defence I think. We need someone more like Lescott and Bruno Alves to do this. There is a huge uncertainty about our ability to defend well in the air, and a great centre half who is king in the air and can read the game well and position himself wisely would be the way to go to get the best out of Toure I think. That our DM is only 5 feet is also abit of problem to be honest. Our opposition in the upcoming season could defend deep and try to nick some goals from set pieces. We need to be aware of this and act accordingly. What do you think chris?

In all honesty, Berde Hangeland would be my first choice. His 6ft 5" (I think), and he's cool under pressure. He can also bring the ball out of defence and is a good weapon to have at set-pieces (defending and attacking). Michael Turner would also be a good addition (as I've mentioned previously in other posts).

In central midfield Kompany is 6ft 4" and Barry is around 6ft", and if Hughes is intending to play the two holding midfielders again, they would be my first choice pairing with De Jong on the bench (I think he's 5ft 8"). In long-term conditions, I think that will be plenty enough for defensive midfield cover. I don't see the point in using short-term conclusions for long-term plans.
But saying that height is not really a necessity for defensive midfield. Look at Gattuso for Milan (5ft 9"), Keane for the rags (5ft 10"), Diarra for Madrid (5ft 7"), Essien for Chelsea (5ft 10"). They are/were top quality defensive midfielders for their respective clubs, and used their balance, strength and tenacity to make up for any frailties in height.

chrisb182 said:
In all honesty, Berde Hangeland would be my first choice. His 6ft 5" (I think), and he's cool under pressure. He can also bring the ball out of defence and is a good weapon to have at set-pieces (defending and attacking). Michael Turner would also be a good addition (as I've mentioned previously in other posts).

In central midfield Kompany is 6ft 4" and Barry is around 6ft", and if Hughes is intending to play the two holding midfielders again, they would be my first choice pairing with De Jong on the bench (I think he's 5ft 8"). In long-term conditions, I think that will be plenty enough for defensive midfield cover. I don't see the point in using short-term conclusions for long-term plans.
But saying that height is not really a necessity for defensive midfield. Look at Gattuso for Milan (5ft 9"), Keane for the rags (5ft 10"), Diarra for Madrid (5ft 7"), Essien for Chelsea (5ft 10"). They are/were top quality defensive midfielders for their respective clubs, and used their balance, strength and tenacity to make up for any frailties in height.

You've forgotten one of the greatest ever, Claude Makalele who was knee high to a grass-hopper ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.