Hughes Transfer Strategy ?

chrisb182 said:
Somud said:
Micah and Ned are too short to accompany Toure in central defence I think. We need someone more like Lescott and Bruno Alves to do this. There is a huge uncertainty about our ability to defend well in the air, and a great centre half who is king in the air and can read the game well and position himself wisely would be the way to go to get the best out of Toure I think. That our DM is only 5 feet is also abit of problem to be honest. Our opposition in the upcoming season could defend deep and try to nick some goals from set pieces. We need to be aware of this and act accordingly. What do you think chris?

In all honesty, Berde Hangeland would be my first choice. His 6ft 5" (I think), and he's cool under pressure. He can also bring the ball out of defence and is a good weapon to have at set-pieces (defending and attacking). Michael Turner would also be a good addition (as I've mentioned previously in other posts).

In central midfield Kompany is 6ft 4" and Barry is around 6ft", and if Hughes is intending to play the two holding midfielders again, they would be my first choice pairing with De Jong on the bench (I think he's 5ft 8"). In long-term conditions, I think that will be plenty enough for defensive midfield cover. I don't see the point in using short-term conclusions for long-term plans.
But saying that height is not really a necessity for defensive midfield. Look at Gattuso for Milan (5ft 9"), Keane for the rags (5ft 10"), Diarra for Madrid (5ft 7"), Essien for Chelsea (5ft 10"). They are/were top quality defensive midfielders for their respective clubs, and used their balance, strength and tenacity to make up for any frailties in height.

Yeah, I was thinking more about our ability to defend from set pieces with the DM also being short. It is true that height definitely isn't that important for a DM, but when the rest of the team is also quite short or not known for their good aerial ability, we might have a problem at our hands. This might be an argument for playing Kompany at DM especially in games where the opposition lies deep and is counting on nicking goals from set pieces. What do you think?

Fuzzmaster101 said:
chrisb182 said:
In all honesty, Berde Hangeland would be my first choice. His 6ft 5" (I think), and he's cool under pressure. He can also bring the ball out of defence and is a good weapon to have at set-pieces (defending and attacking). Michael Turner would also be a good addition (as I've mentioned previously in other posts).

In central midfield Kompany is 6ft 4" and Barry is around 6ft", and if Hughes is intending to play the two holding midfielders again, they would be my first choice pairing with De Jong on the bench (I think he's 5ft 8"). In long-term conditions, I think that will be plenty enough for defensive midfield cover. I don't see the point in using short-term conclusions for long-term plans.
But saying that height is not really a necessity for defensive midfield. Look at Gattuso for Milan (5ft 9"), Keane for the rags (5ft 10"), Diarra for Madrid (5ft 7"), Essien for Chelsea (5ft 10"). They are/were top quality defensive midfielders for their respective clubs, and used their balance, strength and tenacity to make up for any frailties in height.

You've forgotten one of the greatest ever, Claude Makalele who was knee high to a grass-hopper ;)

Durrrrrrrrrrr, yeah. Ha ha.

Good call.

moomba said:
smiles said:
What have you been smoking?!

I don't think Ned and Toure would be a good pairing, and I'd rather play Ned than Toure.

fair enough, everybody is entitled to an opinion...

IMHO I think it is very unlikely you will see Dunne and Onouha as the CB partnership ever again. Toure will start with Lescott if we sign him, failing that which ever CB we sign... There's quite a list building of possibles. Onuoha clearly has a future at the club and a bright one at that, Richard 'won't be forced out' Dunne I'm not so hopefully on.

Why do we need a big 6"+ centre half?

If you play with a back four of Richards, Toure, Onuoha and Bridge you could defend high up the pitch and rely on the pace and tackling ability. This season we're going to come up against a lot of teams who will try and hit us with quick counter attacks, the attack we have to scare opposition teams particularly at home into defending deep and playing this way. The last person you want defending against pacey attackers is Hangeland or someone similar.

smiles said:
IMHO I think it is very unlikely you will see Dunne and Onouha as the CB partnership ever again. Toure will start with Lescott if we sign him, failing that which ever CB we sign... There's quite a list building of possibles. Onuoha clearly has a future at the club and a bright one at that, Richard 'won't be forced out' Dunne I'm not so hopefully on.

Obviously the Dunne/Onuoha was conditional on us not signing anyone else.

But of the ones we've got so far, I see Dunne as the only real organiser we've got (and I know people don't rate his abilities in that regard to highly, but I would disagree). Toure was at his best alongside an organiser in Cambell, when he lost it so did Toure to an extent. Ned and Richards are kids, I wouldn't expect either to take on that role. So if a signing was to come in to replace Dunne, it would have to be someone that can marshall a back 4 and in particular help organise a Toure or Onuoha alongside of him.

Somud said:
We see all the time how the top 4 clubs buy fantastic players from abroad. Arshavin, Vidic, Skrtel, Torres, Essien, Drogba, Alonso, van Persie etc all came from abroad. Mark Hughes on the other hand tries to get players from the Premier League, but the best ones are out of reach (Terry etc). Shouldn't Mark Hughes soon start try to go for great players without Premiership experience or is he so afraid of losing his job that he tries to minimize any risk which in the end might be the biggest risk?

a cynic would say, somebody else has seen there ability on foreign soil and realised they could adapt to the premiership, rather than buy players with proven prem experience

Somud said:
chrisb182 said:

Yeah, I was thinking more about our ability to defend from set pieces with the DM also being short. It is true that height definitely isn't that important for a DM, but when the rest of the team is also quite short or not known for their good aerial ability, we might have a problem at our hands. This might be an argument for playing Kompany at DM especially in games where the opposition lies deep and is counting on nicking goals from set pieces. What do you think?

Correct again mate. Having a short defensive mid ain't a problem, but when you've got a very short midfield and a centre half who can't head it the lack of size becomes a problem

fatbloke said:
Why do we need a big 6"+ centre half?

If you play with a back four of Richards, Toure, Onuoha and Bridge you could defend high up the pitch and rely on the pace and tackling ability. This season we're going to come up against a lot of teams who will try and hit us with quick counter attacks, the attack we have to scare opposition teams particularly at home into defending deep and playing this way. The last person you want defending against pacey attackers is Hangeland or someone similar.

Because not every attack comes from pacey attackers. Most of the poorer teams in the league will try to beat us with set pieces particularly corners. You need height to defend against Stoke, etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.