Hughes Transfer Strategy ?

I think if you're going to question MH's it should be on his tactics. This will be the making or breaking of the man. I can't wait to for the PL to begin. Thats when we get to see what these shiny new players can actually do for the club. I think with all the hype and excitement of this transfer window a lot of people have forgotten it's a team game. people just assume if u put big names together they'll achieve great things regardless. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Neil McNab's Tash said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
I hope so but I'd like to see him do it now while we've got a chance to do it. I suspect that the long term plan might consist of getting prem proven players in this summer and some top foreign players the next, although I could well be wrong

I think you're being a little harsh my friend

He has to build a squad he knows can compete, his job is on the line and won't currently gamble on unproven players.

You think his bottle has gone a bit, I don't think so, i feel this is the best way to build the squad, quality players and proven at this level, spreading our net in the future might be the thing to do, there is a big list of players and they are working to it.

Here's waiting

NMT

Maybe so mate. I'm still hopeful we'll bring in Lescott and pull a quality midfielder out of the bag to top the summer off. Just a bit worried at the likes of Bassong being mentioned

Rather than scared/coward, i think Hughes could actually be labelled very brave for his transfer strategy.

As many posters on here are saying he has very little time to suceed and he has picked a policy that he believe's will work for him and that means going with players who know the EPL insde out.

Does this mean that with already highly experienced players, we can now refrain from the sh*te excuse that we are/have been/will be in a transitional period anymore and he stands or falls based on his own strategy?

Re: Is Mark Hughes a coward?

Somud said:
rnmcfc said:
I quite agree
His job is hard enough without trying to get players used to the prem.

When we've reached the top then we can experiment with overseas talent.

Well, we have already experimented with Bridge and Bellamy. Do you think they have been massive successes while De Jong has been a massive failure? Or was the rags' purchase of premiership proven Berbatov a better investment than the cheaper Torres from the Spanish league? Every purchase is an experiment. But the fact is that when the top players like Terry are unreachable, Hughes should realize that there are great players abroad who could do a better job than players with Premiership experience.

Going for the percentage option is not per se cowardice. MH has performed well under pressure - when the new owners first came in, at Christmas with the poor results / Elano attack and at the end of the season when Jose was being sounded out. Maybe he a little too much like Avram Grant in his presentational skills but I'm betting he will take his chance this season if he can get the best out of his players.

Hughes buying prem experienced players is key to success, He knows the time it will take for them to settle will be a lot shorter than that of foreign players, If they settle at all, I mean just look at Jo for example, he was great abroad but shite for us.

Now we have a very solid looking team ( when we get another defender ). We will be able to buy the occasional foreign superstar player in the future and the settling time will be less of a concern as they are an addition to a very strong team instead of key to it.

Its all about building a strong, experienced base that can hit the floor running to build from. And so far Im more than happy with the way Hughes is doing business. If he'll be able to handle the superstar Ego's is another matter, Only time will tell.

Cheltblue said:
Rather than scared/coward, i think Hughes could actually be labelled very brave for his transfer strategy.

As many posters on here are saying he has very little time to suceed and he has picked a policy that he believe's will work for him and that means going with players who know the EPL insde out.

Does this mean that with already highly experienced players, we can now refrain from the sh*te excuse that we are/have been/will be in a transitional period anymore and he stands or falls based on his own strategy?

It'll still be considered a transitional year and will be until the squad settles and we only need a couple of players each transfer window. When you bring in 6 players who all have a shout for the first team (in fact I would guess that 5 will be first choices for most League games) that's a major change in personel. Hence a transitional year. If our real target is 4th spot with 5th/6th as seconadary targets then that is not the ultimate goal of our owners. Their ultimate goal is success in the Prem and in the Chumps League so until we are challenging seriously for those it will always be a transitional year as we haven't got to where we intend to be.

Re: Is Mark Hughes a coward?

newcrossblue said:
corky1970 said:
can i borrow the glue you have been sniffing ?

pass it on, it's obviously fookin' good stuff

Baffles me how there can be anything but praise to what CITY have done

Barry, Tevez, Toure, Adebayor - all top players proven in the prem - no need for 6 -12 weeks for them to 'get used' to the style / pace etc

Put them with Robbie - an example of the need to acclimatise but now a year on- Stevie Ireland, Bridge, Given and de Jong and you have a really solid look - one that will likely address our Achilles heel - away games - then add SWP, RSC - more solidity

Then lose dependence on Elano, Petrov, Boj - all good players but either not up to the demands of the prem or not fit and you remove weaknesses / weak links

etc etc

You get a team that can challenge from the start and keep going when other teams flag because the squad is strong

Bring Lescott in and it gets better

For me the icing on the cake would have been Alonso

He might still go abroad if he feels we need 1 or 2 more - but best to try for proven class first

Fuzzmaster101 said:
Cheltblue said:

It'll still be considered a transitional year and will be until the squad settles and we only need a couple of players each transfer window. When you bring in 6 players who all have a shout for the first team (in fact I would guess that 5 will be first choices for most League games) that's a major change in personel. Hence a transitional year. If our real target is 4th spot with 5th/6th as seconadary targets then that is not the ultimate goal of our owners. Their ultimate goal is success in the Prem and in the Chumps League so until we are challenging seriously for those it will always be a transitional year as we haven't got to where we intend to be.

That puts every club who does not achieve their pre-season goals as a club in a transitional period!

We have a team of very experienced PL players who know what it takes to win games and know what is required to compete as a team against players that they all know inside out.

All it needs now in the friendlies and first few games is for the manager who is working with all his own players to tweak what is essentially already inbred into the players to make a successful challenge.

Far from transitional imo.

Personaly think the originator of this thread has a point.

MH says he relies on his natural instinct with players once he sees them and then uses backup data to make sure they have the right carachter.

Does this mean players abroad don't fit this startegy.

From reading the threads people have already stressed their concern over Toure , RSC (injuries etc), Adebayor (attitude)

If he doesn't get Lescott then do you think the other players we are linked with (Bassong , Distin) would not be as bigger risk as say an Alves.

If things don't start well i expect you'll all be saying why didn't we go for better players available abroad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.