Hughes Transfer Strategy ?

He's done what managers all around the world do. You look around your league for players despite knowing you'll pay slightly more but safe in knowledge that they wont need to adapt to the language, weather, heavy training schedules.

If that bears no fruit you look to leagues of similar pace and style. English managers go to France, Germany and Holland alot, Spanish managers to Portugal and South America, Italy to OAP charity raffles.

Why take a chance buying the likes of Chilleni, Eto'o, Aquilani etc when there's players over here with the experience who are equally as good, if not better, especially as money is no problem.

The Fat el Hombre said:
I really don't like the way we seem to be limiting our options by only buying prem proven players. I also think it's a bit of a cop out as other managers have taken gambles on the players and we're just buying them off them for much higher fees and ridiculous wages. Anyone can pay way over the odds and simply buy the better players in the league, the biggest problemn I have is that the players we seem to be looking at now aren't even the best players in the league. Is Kolo Toure really that good? Can we afford to have a centre half who's so poor in the air when our team has struggled so badly with our physical presence problem?

I can tell you know that he ain't worth the £100-120k a week we're paying him, Bellamy ain't worth the 90-100k a week we're paying him and neither is Bridge. Bad decisions are being made IMO and only highly impressive results excessive funds from the arabs will see us through and the arabs aren't just gonna throw hundreds of millions year after year at it if we ain't getting results. Don't give me that 'it ain't our money' bullshit. The fact of the matter is that with their current contracts we are going to be paying certain players wages for the next 4 years even though they will be playing for other teams, as they probably won't be good enough for the long run and no other club in the world will be willing to pay anything near what we are curtrently paying them

Don't forget that by buying these so-called "no-gamble" premiership players, we are giving our opponents huge amounts of money instead of giving that money to foreign clubs which we don't compete with.

Re: Is Mark Hughes a coward?

riley347 said:
Chippy_boy said:
Brilliant??? Fecking hell, you're easily impressed. "Acceptable" would be my assessment.

no....brilliant is the correct term......acceptable is not enough credit...........

I agree too. We had definite holes in our first team and squad last season and Hughes has systematically plugged the gaps with quality premiership proven players. There's only one blatantly obvious gap left (CB/Cover for Bridge) which we're all aware Lescott would be the candidate to fill. If he then gets a young pretender to Ireland's throne I fail to see how this window could have been bettered. (Unless you start saying dim stuff like we should have gone for Aguero/Messi/Benzema/Kaka/Ribery, etc, etc)

Once he has a settled squad of quality players (remains to be seen but this squad looks as likely one as any) then he can start buying the icing on the cake from abroad and bringing in the world's best youth talent to add to our academy and breed the first team of the future.

Marty said:
He's done what managers all around the world do. You look around your league for players despite knowing you'll pay slightly more but safe in knowledge that they wont need to adapt to the language, weather, heavy training schedules.

If that bears no fruit you look to leagues of similar pace and style. English managers go to France, Germany and Holland alot, Spanish managers to Portugal and South America, Italy to OAP charity raffles.

Why take a chance buying the likes of Chilleni, Eto'o, Aquilani etc when there's players over here with the experience who are equally as good, if not better, especially as money is no problem.

Do you think that the rags didn't take a chance when they bought Berbatov? Should we go for Berbatovs too instead of Torres types from Spain? Why take the chance with Torres from Atletico when there are players like Berbatov from Tottenham?

Somud said:
Marty said:

Do you think that the rags didn't take a chance when they bought Berbatov? Should we go for Berbatovs too instead of Torres types from Spain? Why take the chance with Torres from Atletico when there are players like Berbatov from Tottenham?

There are always exceptions, but it didn't matter to the scum because they already had a settled team which was challenging for titles. Doesn't matter where they shop or how much of a gamble they take if their squad won the Prem the previous season. This year is different because they've lost one of their most influential players. We'll see how they cope.

Somud said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
I really don't like the way we seem to be limiting our options by only buying prem proven players. I also think it's a bit of a cop out as other managers have taken gambles on the players and we're just buying them off them for much higher fees and ridiculous wages. Anyone can pay way over the odds and simply buy the better players in the league, the biggest problemn I have is that the players we seem to be looking at now aren't even the best players in the league. Is Kolo Toure really that good? Can we afford to have a centre half who's so poor in the air when our team has struggled so badly with our physical presence problem?

I can tell you know that he ain't worth the £100-120k a week we're paying him, Bellamy ain't worth the 90-100k a week we're paying him and neither is Bridge. Bad decisions are being made IMO and only highly impressive results excessive funds from the arabs will see us through and the arabs aren't just gonna throw hundreds of millions year after year at it if we ain't getting results. Don't give me that 'it ain't our money' bullshit. The fact of the matter is that with their current contracts we are going to be paying certain players wages for the next 4 years even though they will be playing for other teams, as they probably won't be good enough for the long run and no other club in the world will be willing to pay anything near what we are curtrently paying them

Don't forget that by buying these so-called "no-gamble" premiership players, we are giving our opponents huge amounts of money instead of giving that money to foreign clubs which we don't compete with.
Huge amounts of money? We've taken their best players, weakening them in the process, and I don't think we have overpaid. Look at Ibrahimovic. he cost around £60 Million if the reports of £20 Mill plus Etoo wwee true. Roanldo cost £80 Million. Adebayor scores 20 a season and is in that bracket in my opinion. Barry was a snip at £12 Million.

Arsenal will find it difficult to buy replacements. Likewise Villa

The Fat el Hombre said:

I'm with this guy.

Barry was a fantastic signing and a snip at £12 million no doubt about it. If we can get the best out of Adebayor he will also be a snip at £22 million. It's just when we get into the stage what we're in now after paying £16 million for Toure and bidding around £20 million for Lescott where the plan starts to get a bit iffy for me

Saying that, I'm still behind buying Lescott for £20 million cos I think he'd be a very important player for us next season and he ticks a lot of boxes

The big thing that Hughes looks for in a player is workrate, all his signings show us this (Adebayor being an exception but he must have his reasons)
Maybe he thinks buying abroad he might not be guaranteed that?
He wants players he can trust that can deliver his deamnds in training and on the pitch of hard graft.
Why do you think Elano didn't fit in?
Why buy Bellamy when he knew he would be on the bench this season?.......because when he calls on him he knows what he gets!!

I'd rather have players out there giving 100% and being overpaid than passengers taking the piss

Lyon are doing exactly the same in Lique 1, they've spent 70mil so far this summer on a bunch of half decent players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.