Hughes vs Mancini: TRANSFERS

Some of Hughes's signings were essentially stop gaps. If Hughes ever permitted himself to dream of leading the side out at the CL final, I doubt if Wayne Bridge featured in the dream. But Bridge was generally considered to be a better left back than Ball and Garrido, we were just above the relegation zone and world class left backs weren't queuing up to sign for us. Similarly we signed Adebayor when E'too turned us down.

Our problem is that we made a fuss over those players, paid big transfer fees, gave them lucrative contracts. Now that Mancini has made it fairly obvious that he doesnt rate many of them we have this dressing room upset and agents briefing against the manager.

We need a few players like Park or Kalou that are good to have as back ups but dont kick up a fuss if they dont get picked.

tevezskeen said:
Who spent there money most wisely
since the takeover so SWP Jo and Kompany don't count for example

Hughes

Robinho £32.5m failure
Bridge £12m failure
de Jong £17m success
Bellamy £14m failure
Given £5.7m failure
Barry £12m Jury's out
Taylor FREE
Santa Cruz £17.5m failure
K. Toure £16m Hit and Miss
Tevez £25.5m success
Adebayor £25m failure
Sylvinho FREE failure
Lescott £24m failure

Mancini

Vieira FREE Considering how little played, not a failure though, because of mentality he will rub off
A. Johnson £7m success
Boateng £10.5m cannot say
Y. Toure £24m jury's out
Silva £24m success
Kolarov £17m cannot say
Balotelli £22m cannot say
Milner £16m + Ireland reasonable success

IMO it's Mancini

MANCINI IN
<br /><br />-- Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:54 pm --<br /><br />Hughes best signings:

Kompany
Zabaleta
De Jong

were signed either before the takeover or for small sums of money.

Tevez was no doubt a Marwood/Cook signing.

Silva looks to be a great addition and Boateng and Kolarov look definate upgrades on Richards and Bridge.

tevez had nothing to do with hughes imo, we were made aware he was on the market and the top boys sorted it out

I actually think its unfair to Hughes to compare the two, we were in different stages of developement when the two manegers were recruiting players so obviusly Mancini has an advantage.

Having said that Hughes did buy RSC, so Mancini would always win any transfer comparison.

ElanJo said:
Not fair to judge. How much have we seen of Kolarov, Boateng and Balotelli? Fuck all.

Even Silva (who already looks the dogs fookin bollocks and THE guy who the team should be built around)) Yaya and Milner haven't had time to bed in properly yet (even if I think we've been ripped off - Lescott style - with Milner)

With that said, Mancini's signings are the kind of signings I would have made( young and technically gifted).

I hate this Mancini v Hughes bullshit. It's absolutely fooking laughable that there are people out there who are even contemplating sacking Mancini. Yes. he's conservative and new to the English game, and I'd agree that you need to be a bit more gungho in the Premier League than Mancini is currently, but he wants to be a success here and, given time, he will add an attacking verve to his pretty much rock solid defensive tactics. Come on, do we remember before Mancini came how we used to shit it when the opposition used to get a corner against us (it was akin to giving a penalty). He knows football. Have we seen Andy Gray criticising Mancini's zonal marking system like he did with Benitez every week? No - because Mancini is a good tactician (when was the last time we gave away a goal from a corner? - I honestly can't remember). All successful teams are first and foremost built upon a solid backline. Mancini has given us that. Do people really think that Roberto Mancini - a genius of an attacking footballer - doesn't want to score loads of goals and entertainn?

I'd go on but I realise that I'm ranting so I'll stop.

Forza Bobby Manc!!!

TRUE DAT!!!!

Prestwich_Blue said:
dref619 said:
tevez had nothing to do with hughes imo, we were made aware he was on the market and the top boys sorted it out
And Robinho had nothing to do with Hughes but Mancini had nothing to do with Johnson.

True in the sense they didnt recruit the players or negotiate the deals, the did okay them though, Hughes even approved the Jo deal.

As has been said Mancini has a slight advantage (apart from his own reputation in the game) in that we're a little more established as a club.

Prestwich_Blue said:
dref619 said:
And Robinho had nothing to do with Hughes but Mancini had nothing to do with Johnson.
Marwood says otherwise, sounds like the scouting was done, the dossier compiled and the decision left to the manager as it should be.
Brian Marwood said:
On the field, Johnson has proved an inspired signing. “I knew the family but I want to kill this myth that Adam Johnson is a Brian Marwood signing, Brian Marwood’s love-child! If I’m imposing players Roberto doesn’t want to work with it falls down straight away.”

Marwood did the background work on Johnson. “I took that to Roberto and said: 'It’s your decision’. We weren’t sure what was going to happen with Robinho. We had a contractual dispute with Shaun [Wright-Phillips]. Craig [Bellamy] was coming into the latter stages of his career. Vladimir [Weiss] is going to be a real good talent but is not ready yet. We were deciding between Victor Moses or Adam Johnson so I went and watched both. Fortunately we got Adam and he’s been terrific.’’

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.