I am very puzzled and quite frankly slightly hurt.

Because if you are to believe much of social media, everyone who is over 50 is a racist, homophobic, brexit voter with all the money, who have had the best of everything, ruined the planet and are now ruining the lives of the young.

Not a very inclusive opinion, but being ageist seems to be outside the realms of ED&I unfortunately.

Welcome to being a FOC.

Couldn't care less what a bunch of random snotty nose kids think of me and people my age, in real life you never see it because people are normal.

The problem with Twitter and Facebook is that people who use it tend to believe everyone thinks the same way they do, fast forward 40 years and those snotty nose kids will be getting pelters from the unborn cyborgs to follow.

BTW, if the youngsters think that outside toilets and living in the 50's and 60's were easy then they haven't lived.

It is not wrong to grow old, nor is it wrong to expect a dotage of decency and compassion. In fact in many cultures the old are venerated and accepted as fonts of wisdom and knowledge who are greatly respected within their familial and social groups.

It is also a fact that the UK population model differs from the Malthusian concept of population resembling a triangle, with the old at the top and the young at the bottom. There were less older people than younger people. Nowadays the model resembles a lightbulb, People are living longer due to medical advances and the UK birthrate is falling to such an extent it is almost moribund.

As the aging population increases it takes more resources, as in Pensions, healthcare and other associated welfare items such as free travel passes. This leaves less for the younger members of society who now have to pay through the nose to go to university, they see their healthcare as rationed due to the perception that hospitals are full of older people and GP surgeries have fewer appointments, again it is easy to see why this is attributed to older peoples healthcare needs, although there is a segment of society who persist on blaming these problems on immigrants. That is an easy get out clause for the hard of thinking.

There is also the question of the younger segment of society seeing the older members as asset rich, although asset rich is often in hand with being cash poor. But for a young person struggling to find a home for his/her family seeing an older person living alone in a three bedroom house whilst there family lives in a one bedroom flat is bound to cause some resentment. That is because the postWW2 consensus led to the belief that every generation would be better off than the preceding generation. Once that consensus was destroyed and individualism was promoted over social cohesion we entered a new world. That world sees a non productive member of society as a burden on society rather than an asset, because they are taking up resources that the individual came to believe should be allocated to them.

Reading your post, I see and acknowledge you have done what most would consider to be the right thing by yourself and by your family and quite rightly expect your contribution to society to be seen as worthy and respected.

As for patronising behaviour against you, I have been involved in some work recently looking into digital exclusion and how it is now assumed that everyone has a level of technical capability they can use items such as laptops and smart phones. This is a major issue for many of the aged in society, it is for me and I am only 56. We have found many young people who have grown up being technically able, fail to grasp a world where this technology did not exist and failure to be able to use these new technological advances leads to feelings of alienation and bewilderment. Some of these advances are what could be described as simple such as self check out tills at supermarkets. Which I never use as I don't like them, but go in a supermarket and in general you will see older people queue at a person operated till, whilst the younger generation fly through the self operated check outs. This creates barriers between generations.

Are there solutions, yes of course there are, but that would entail a restructuring of society and a Government willing and able to address the issues, sadly that does not appear to be happening anytime soon and in the meanwhile EB whilst you do grow ever older my advice would be to do it disgracefully happy in the knowledge that you have played your part and that your family and friends respect, admire and love you.
I am, as Keith Richards once said, "Immaturing with age"!

I think you get twats who are old and twats who are young. I don't think old people get it any worse than young people though.

As an example, if a young person sat in the wrong seat on a train or at the theatre, they might be told off by the train instructor and assumed to be doing it on purpose (e.g. trying to jib first class etc.) if an old person did it I think it's more likely they'd be asked politely to move.

Younger people are often spoken to in a rude way that older people wouldn't be imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.