I don't agree, Bobby ....

It's funny how things get reported. This take on it, and many others, reads completely different.

Mancini challenges Richards to shine
Manchester City news: Roberto Mancini thinks Micah Richards can become an England regular

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has challenged Micah Richards to prove he is worth a place in the England starting XI.

The Etihad Stadium right-back was not particularly favoured by previous national team manager Fabio Capello, but the Italian resigned on Wednesday evening and this would have given Richards renewed hope.

Right full-back is one of the most competitive positions in the England side, with Glen Johnson and Kyle Walker both previously in front of the 23-year-old and Mancini wants Richards to take this new opportunity.

“Micah has everything to become a top full-back. I think he has improved a lot in the last year but he can still improve, he can do better,” Mancini is quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

“At this moment for the national team, probably Johnson or Walker are better.

"But I don't want to say Micah can't play for the national team - if he wants, Micah can play always.”

Despite the Citizens' manager being full of praise for Richards, he admitted there is room for improvement in the young defender’s game.

Mancini also pointed out that, with such a lot of competition for places in the squad, there was bound to be someone disappointed.

“If one England manager has a choice of three - Johnson, Walker, Micah - one of these players stays out,” added the Italian.

“Micah played for England with Capello but there are a lot of players in England and one manager can call only 20-22 for a European Championship.

“I think Micah can really be a top full-back but he needs to improve.”

Richards can continue his improvement during City’s race for the Premier League title, which they lead by two points over fierce local rival Manchester United.

The next challenge they face will be a clash with Aston Villa at Villa Park late on Sunday afternoon

Watched the interview you new the angle the media were going for they asked Mancini who he would choose for England Walker Johnson or mica hr didn't bite!! This is Mancini's way with All our players they can improve and he 100% right once you think you've made it you go backwards

inGavious said:
IOWBlue said:
I'd like to think he told Micah what he would say before he said it ;)

i dunno .... odd that Micah has cancelled his twitter ... if i was Micah, i'd be fuming.
Hopefully Micah isn't quite so simple.

And why bring up his twitter account?

Blue Haze said:
Glen Johnson?

I know this is intended to be motivational but even Liverpool fans would laugh at that.

you obviously don't know many Liverpool fans (fortunately) Every single one I know claims Johnson to be the best right back in the Prem by a mile.

The Micah thing is just motivation, the thing he said recently that I dont agree with is that England could have won the Euros with Capello in charge. I know he's a fellow Italian Bob, but take off those green white and red tinted goggles for a minute sunshine...

;)

alky313 said:
Micahs positional sense needs to improve. Athletically he is incredible. But he still makes mistakes. Is he good enough for England? Probably. But that shouldn't be the standard we hold our starters to. Truthfully almost all of City unseat England players.
He's started going to sleep again during games. He obviously needs to be constantly reminded of what's required which is what I attribute these remarks of Mancini to.

TFC said:
The Micah thing is just motivation, the thing he said recently that I dont agree with is that England could have won the Euros with Capello in charge. I know he's a fellow Italian Bob, but take off those green white and red tinted goggles for a minute sunshine...

;)

Exactly this. Surely you don't expect him to go on record to say that Fabio is one of the best coaches in the world and then to disagree with his decisions? He knows Micah is the best rightback he has but probably hasn't seen enough of walker and johnson to make that distinction and says the manager can only choose 20 players and one rightback has to sit out. But he also goes ahead to says that he thinks Micah has the qualities to be England's number 1 rightback always. He just has to keep improving and show whoever the manager is, that he is good enough to be in the England squad ahead of his competition.

Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
alky313 said:
Micahs positional sense needs to improve. Athletically he is incredible. But he still makes mistakes. Is he good enough for England? Probably. But that shouldn't be the standard we hold our starters to. Truthfully almost all of City unseat England players.
He's started going to sleep again during games. He obviously needs to be constantly reminded of what's required which is what I attribute these remarks of Mancini to.
Nah, he has been consistently solid all season. They say that for success in this league you need a few homegrown grafters, and Micah is fulfilling this role more than anyone. He sets the example for others and has added other elements to his game going down the wing. If I was to have any criticism, it would be his size, because he does tend to give away a lot of freekicks by knocking players over. It's like the hulk trying to play kaplonk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.