If Britain was as big (size) as America

GAZZA said:
When you think... all countries had the same start in the year zero; but us, a small rocky island at the NW of Europe and we once had the biggest empire the world has ever seen.
Makes you a bit proud, dunnit.

Oh a lot to be proud of isn't there.

But us, Ireland, an even smaller island at the NW of Europe caused the downfall of the same empire. Makes me even prouder. ;)

Rahart said:
GAZZA said:
When you think... all countries had the same start in the year zero; but us, a small rocky island at the NW of Europe and we once had the biggest empire the world has ever seen.
Makes you a bit proud, dunnit.

But us, Ireland, an even smaller island at the NW of Europe caused the downfall of the same empire. Makes me even prouder. ;)

Ha ha..! Ireland caused the fall of the British Empire..?!! what propogandic bull have you been brainwashed with..?!

blumoonrises said:
Rahart said:

Ha ha..! Ireland caused the fall of the British Empire..?!! what propogandic bull have you been brainwashed with..?!

Didnt you know it had nothing to do with two World Wars and Britain being in debt up to its eye ball. Then having to go to the Americans begging for a borrow which they applied a load of conditions to.

Challenger1978 said:
blumoonrises said:

Didnt you know it had nothing to do with two World Wars and Britain being in debt up to its eye ball. Then having to go to the Americans begging for a borrow which they applied a load of conditions to.

Exactly... the British Empire was already on its arse and Ireland just benefited from it... makes you wonder what they are taught in school..

We are only powerful because we have America Jr. above us, fully trade dependent below us, and two massive oceans to both sides. Completely invasion-proof. I really can't envision growing up in a nation that is doesn't take six hours on a plane to fly to the other coast.

What gets me is for a small country we donate to other countries for our size more than any other country......

At the start of the second world war we were the worlds superpower, at that time a countries power was measured on the size and power of it's navy.

The US was terrified our navy would fall into German hands (thus making them the worlds superpower) and tried very hard to persuade Churchill to commit to handing our fleet over to the Americans in the event of invasion, Churchill was having none of it as he saw that as one stick to get the Americans to support us.

Britain's decline arguably started before WW1. The Germans had got seriously ahead of us in terms of technology and production, not least because of our upper classes' famous disdain for anything other than 'classical' education. WW1 fucked up the economy and put us in debt, and basically our Empire, from then on, was hanging by a thread as we didn't really have the resources to control it. WW2 completely fucked us and put us into unimaginable debt. WW1 and WW2 are what are technically known as 'Pyrric Victories.'

Ultimately a nation's power depends on its financial resources and its industry. We were the first to have an Industrial Revolution and that gave us a head start that, ultimately, we wasted. We have been in denial since 1918 at least

Was the Empire something to be proud of though?

Slavery was one part of it i`m not proud of,you could look at the splitting of India in 1947 or us creating the Israeli state in 1948.It`s like we threw a hand grenade in the middle east and did a runner.

whipper said:
Was the Empire something to be proud of though?

Slavery was one part of it i`m not proud of,you could look at the splitting of India in 1947 or us creating the Israeli state in 1948.It`s like we threw a hand grenade in the middle east and did a runner.

Britain also abolished slavery, somthing that had been going on for thousands and thousands of years before even England existed never mind Britain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.