If Colin Is The King...

strongbowholic said:
...is Silva God?

I just missed out on seeing Colin plying his trade. My dad raves about him and of course I've seen footage of him in his pomp. Clearly a wonderfully gifted player and a true, City legend.

However has he now been trumped by Silva as City's best player ever?
Not there yet; he has a few years and a few trophies to go before he can be compared to CB. However, I cannot remember anyone better than Silva in the intervening period. People raved about Elano, Gio, Ali B, Lee Bradbury, etc etc, but none of them performed to the same consistent level.

tregyblue61 said:
Colin will always be King.

That day against Newcastle (77) when he came on as sub. First touch, a header, just over the bar. The noise............never heard anything like it at Maine Road.

Remember the whispers at half time that the king was coming on. When he appeared out of the tunnel the place went mental.

de niro said:
i've seen both in their prime, david is a better footballer, colin is the better player.

That's it in a nutshell !
Not sure Merlin would have coped with the physical attention Bell had to deal with. Part of the game in those days. Also the cabbage patches teams played on back then, certainly wouldn't have been to Silva's liking.
Great player, but Nijinsky just shades it for me.

If silva stays for another 2 to 4 years and we win everything with this lad pulling the strings I think Colin himself will give him his crown ;-)

brad the blue said:
tregyblue61 said:
Colin will always be King.

That day against Newcastle (77) when he came on as sub. First touch, a header, just over the bar. The noise............never heard anything like it at Maine Road.

Remember the whispers at half time that the king was coming on. When he appeared out of the tunnel the place went mental.

Will never forget THAT moment ...The loudest I ever heard the Kippax
Tueart hat trick but the King still got MoM

The game is so different these days so difficult to compare, but having watched CB since I was eleven in 1966, I can verify that the heart and soul and honesty that man gave to MCFC, can never really be surpassed, given the modern game. But all this aside, in the modern game, he would be worth 30 million easy! Probably the Zidane of his day, athletically speaking. Love him and always will!

TROUSERS said:
The game is so different these days so difficult to compare, but having watched CB since I was eleven in 1966, I can verify that the heart and soul and honesty that man gave to MCFC, can never really be surpassed, given the modern game. But all this aside, in the modern game, he would be worth 30 million easy! Probably the Zidane of his day, athletically speaking. Love him and always will!

30 million??? wouldn't get his right arm for that. if figo went for 47 colin would cost 80.

Maineman55 said:
de niro said:
i've seen both in their prime, david is a better footballer, colin is the better player.

That's it in a nutshell !
Not sure Merlin would have coped with the physical attention Bell had to deal with. Part of the game in those days. Also the cabbage patches teams played on back then, certainly wouldn't have been to Silva's liking.
Great player, but Nijinsky just shades it for me.

I think its unfair to say Silva wouldn't have lasted playing in the era of Bell when the game was much rougher and the pitches were extremely poor. Silva has grown up in a footballing world where that isn't really a problem. Had he been born in Bell's time he would have grown up facing similar problems to Bell and with his quality, adapted to it. Obviously, if Silva had to play a game like that tomorrow he would have no chance but if he was raised when football was the way it was in the 60's and 70's, just as Bell was, then I have no doubt he would have being an excellent player. Not saying who I believe was the better player as Bell was before my time, just saying I think its an unfair comment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.