IF Shay Given was English would Hart be Englands Number 1?

leighton

Simple really. Since the retirement of David Seaman England has struggled to find a relieable keeper. So if Shay would of been English he would of taken over from Seaman in goal when Seaman retired or before. Take that into account IF Given was English he would of racked up a number of caps as the English number 1 before the World Cup gone. Would Capello have picked Given as his number 1 or would he have gone for Hart instead. IF Given was English would Hart still have been at the club? I know the club is trying to get the English feel to the squad but taking everything into account at how well Given has done over the last couple of seasons would Given have been Englands number 1 or not.

I do think Shay will win back his place in the team if he is given a chance to do so in the coming season. IF Mancini goes by what he says there will be some games coming Shays way but if he doesnt give Given some game time by now to January I feel Shay will want out.

Its hard to say, because look at it this way if Given was Englands number 1 chances are some of the older England keepers would have thrown the towle in at international level and there is every chance that Hart would have been picked as Number 1 for the world cup(due to Given's injury)and if that had been the case who knows. I doubt Green would have been there to make his dreadful mistake and...... that set the tone for the whole world cup and instead of facing Germany England would have played Ghina in the last 16.

I don't see Given "winning" his place back tbh... Unless hart gets injured of course.

As for IF he was English, well... Who knows? But since we're speculating then I'd guess that Hart would be fighting to replace him over the next couple of seasons...

But don't forget that Given got injured last season and that's a big factor in Hart getting his chance at City... So maybe he'd have got his chance with England too.

leighton said:
Simple really. Since the retirement of David Seaman England has struggled to find a relieable keeper. So if Shay would of been English he would of taken over from Seaman in goal when Seaman retired or before. Take that into account IF Given was English he would of racked up a number of caps as the English number 1 before the World Cup gone. Would Capello have picked Given as his number 1 or would he have gone for Hart instead. IF Given was English would Hart still have been at the club? I know the club is trying to get the English feel to the squad but taking everything into account at how well Given has done over the last couple of seasons would Given have been Englands number 1 or not.

I do think Shay will win back his place in the team if he is given a chance to do so in the coming season. IF Mancini goes by what he says there will be some games coming Shays way but if he doesnt give Given some game time by now to January I feel Shay will want out.
I don't

bluemoonmatt said:
leighton said:

I don't

agreed.

no one is touching Hart at the moment.

Jimma said:
bluemoonmatt said:

agreed.

no one is touching Hart at the moment.

Agreed +1

The way he is playing, Buffon on a free wouldn't shift him.

So he would have to have a massive drop in both confidence and form for anything to change and I really don't see this happening. A) because he's an extremely confident and self assured young lad, and B) because he oozes goal keeping talent, and you might have a dip in form, but class is permanent, as they say.

From a goalkeeping perspective, He's got it all really. In his younger years he used to come off his line far too much and was left flapping around trying and failing to gather crosses. But he reads the game so much better now and commands his area brilliantly. He's also as good a stopper as Shay, if not even better, and I cant think of a higher compliment than that. He also has the added bonus of being massive, which helps as well. The frightening thing is I can only see him getting better.

I really do think young Joe is going to be England no.1 for the next 15 to 20 years and will be talked about in the same vein as Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton.

Maybe our biggest risk is that someone like Barcelona or Inter might try and sign him and who knows whether he would be tempted.

i dont think shay will win back his place even though i do think hes a better keeper than hart except on crosses shay will leave in jan

I know but the thing that Joe has yet to do that Given has done for the best part of 10-12 years is play consistantly well during those seasons. I think its a risk for Mancini to drop Shay the way he has when you take into account he did fuck all wrong to loose his place in the first team in the first place. If it doesnt work out he has himself to blame. So far Hart hasnt put a foot wrong while he has been in but I would have faith in Given to have started off the season the same way as Hart has. As I said Mancini has said both will play but he has had chances to play Given but has yet to do so. In a ideal world you would sell Given if you dont want him and not have this problem anymore. You cant have 2 number 1s in one squad it causes to much troble.

leighton said:
know but the thing that Joe has yet to do that Given has done for the best part of 10-12 years is play consistantly well during those seasons.

True - but then he's not been around long enough to do that. Based on his form from last season that he's carried forward into this one, Hart is undroppable right now.

His inexperience 'may' show at some point this season, but it looks like it'll take a lot to knock his confidence, and playing for regularly for a top side he's got a chance to become an even better player.

The big difference I see with Shay is that Joe is a really dominant keeper. A goalkeeper who takes control of the area stops dangerous situations developing, and can start counter-attacks quickly. I think he'll be worth big points at both ends of the pitch for club and country this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.