If we could win the league this season

I think that that's what the margin will be between us and them at the end of the season, frankly. Leicester could end up above us. Liverpool have played quite poorly on several occasions and taken three points. We've played quite poorly on several occasions and taken no points. Not for the first time this season, the opposition had two or three shots on goal, and scored from nearly all (or all) of them. Today we took one point, after playing poorly. Liverpool would probably have taken the three. I do sincerely believe that. Is there anything to indicate that that tendency will be reversed? I see nothing up ahead.
We might win a cup; league or F.A.. We will not win the CL unless we put a higher proportion of our chances away, and mark people on the edge of our box rigorously when we're supposed to. That is as sure as death and taxes.

CL is a pipe dream with this defence. We would need a hell of a lot of good fortune to get past the last 8 in that.

Beat Oxford, see where that takes us and go strong in FA cup. Those two are the best hopes of silverware this season so might as well go strong in them now.

We would need to win 22 of our last 24 games and draw the other two. As it is we’re tracking for just less than 80 points.

CL is a pipe dream with this defence.
The defence (back 4) is an issue but the bigger issues are in midfield and up front.

We're just not pressing with any form of intensity or aggression, it's like we've forgotten made us so special over the last two seasons. Aguero and Silva just aren't capable of it anymore sadly, not for 90 minutes every three days/week. Mahrez and Gundogan are capable but just don't seem up for the fight on a consistent basis and Rodri is so slow to turn and accelerate over a short distance it's leaving the back 4 isolated.

The other huge problem is the lack of width and pace to counter attack, Sterling on the left and Bernardo/Mahrez on the right always want to come inside and it slows the majority of counter attacks down to walking pace. Teams arent scared of us and know they can push men forward at times, knowing we're not going to destroy them on the break as we undoubtedly would do with Sterling and a fully fit Sane down the left. Again Aguero and Silva have waned in terms of physicality, rendering them virtually useless on the counter.

That's all a bit harsh I know but our ability to regain possession quickly and break quickly was just as big a threat as our quality in possession, we need to get back to that level of intensity and aggression.

Last edited:
The defence (back 4) is an issue but the bigger issues are in midfield and up front.

We're just not pressing with any form of intensity or aggression, it's like we've forgotten made us so special over the last two seasons. Aguero and Silva just aren't capable of it anymore sadly, not for 90 minutes every three days/week. Mahrez and Gundogan are capable but just don't seem up for the fight on a consistent basis and Rodri is so slow to turn and accelerate over a short distance it's leaving the back 4 isolated.

The other huge problem is the lack of width and pace to counter attack, Sterling on the left and Bernardo/Mahrez on the right always want to come inside and it slows the majority of counter attacks down to walking pace. Teams are scared of us and know they can push men forward at times, knowing we're not going to destroy them on the break as we undoubtedly would do with Sterling and a fully fit Sane down the left. Again Aguero and Silva have waned in terms of physicality, rendering them virtually useless on the counter.

That's all a bit harsh I know but our ability to regain possession quickly and break quickly was just as big a threat as our quality in possession, we need to get back to that level of intensity and aggression.

This drop off in pressing must have been approved by Pep. If not surely he would
Just bring in players who will do it. None of them are doing it currently.

We also don’t look as controlled in possession either and have started floating crosses into the box game after game. I don’t remember us doing that much last season either.

We have definitely changed the way we play this season.

Are we maybe going balls deep for the CL and he doesn’t want the players totally fucked by Feb?

it’s all very lacklustre and I can’t work it out. Yes Laporte is a big miss but Sane hardly played in the 14 game winning run and we still found a way. We have been dominant without KDB for long periods, with no left back for two seasons, without Silva when he was going home to be with his son, Kompany for most of 2 seasons and Aguero at times. Despite that we have managed games well, been tight, controlled possession and amassed 198 points.

the drop off this season is incredible. We are on track for 78 points currently.

We are either totally fucked from the efforts of last season or don’t want to be fucked when the business end of the season comes around and the CL is the holy grail for the club and prob for Pep.

I don't feel confident in us winning any game currently and that is the first time for a long time.

We would need to win 22 of our last 24 games and draw the other two. As it is we’re tracking for just less than 80 points.
Yep, it’s as dead as a dodo. They will get in the region of 100 points, it’s a given. Potentially breaking our record (I reckon they’ll get 102). We might improve our average points per game, but it won’t be by much. We won’t get above 90, that’s for sure. I’m expecting to be around 15 points behind them in May. We’ll be that far behind them at the turn of the new year even.

This drop off in pressing must have been approved by Pep. If not surely he would
Just bring in players who will do it. None of them are doing it currently.

We also don’t look as controlled in possession either and have started floating crosses into the box game after game. I don’t remember us doing that much last season either.

We have definitely changed the way we play this season.

Are we maybe going balls deep for the CL and he doesn’t want the players totally fucked by Feb?

it’s all very lacklustre and I can’t work it out. Yes Laporte is a big miss but Sane hardly played in the 14 game winning run and we still found a way. We have been dominant without KDB for long periods, with no left back for two seasons, without Silva when he was going home to be with his son, Kompany for most of 2 seasons and Aguero at times. Despite that we have managed games well, been tight, controlled possession and amassed 198 points.

the drop off this season is incredible. We are on track for 78 points currently.

We are either totally fucked from the efforts of last season or don’t want to be fucked when the business end of the season comes around and the CL is the holy grail for the club and prob for Pep.

I don't feel confident in us winning any game currently and that is the first time for a long time.
I hadn't even looked at it from that perspective in all honesty, you may very well be right. Maybe we are going at the Champions League knockout rounds full tilt, knowing we'll have Laporte and Sane back. It also means the players who are desperate to do well at the Euro's won't be absolutely fucked by the end of the season. They've won everything domestically, to top it off with a Champions League and Euro's trophy would be all they want.

I hadn't even looked at it from that perspective in all honesty, you may very well be right. Maybe we are going at the Champions League knockout rounds full tilt, knowing we'll have Laporte and Sane back. It also means the players who are desperate to do well at the Euro's won't be absolutely fucked by the end of the season. They've won everything domestically, to top it off with a Champions League and Euro's trophy would be all they want.
We are not doing that. It's stupid and foolhardy.

I do think we have a chance of winning the CL but watch any of the CL games and you see how they are decided by the smallest of moments.

To be honest our side deserves everything they get at the moment. If you are better than your opponent and don't press home your advantage then you deserve to fail.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.