If we went out at the group stage.

Didsbury Dave said:
I'm not using the term glory to say we will win something every year. What I am saying is Abu dhabi have not invested all this money for us to be also rans. If we don't challenge all the way for the title this year we have failed. If we finish a close second we dust ourselves down and have another go. But if we end up 10 points off the pace, fighting arsenal and Liverpool for 3rd and 4th then big questions have to be asked. I know a section of fans like to see us as the upstarts, some kind of over-achieving club like Swansea but we aren't . We've spent more than everyone. I wouldn't dream of swapping our squad for Anybody's .

This "let's establish ourselves in the top four" attitude is hugely naive. Look at what happened to Hughes, look at what happened to cook. These guys are not here to fuck around. They want a return on their investment. That return won't necessarily be financial , it will be in terms of world profile. The odd domestic trophy will not cut the
Mustard , they want the title and the champions league. And they arent going to wait 10 years, or even 5, to get it.

This shit is serious . This squad is serious . The time is now.

Just a point, Mancini and Lombardo was kept waiting in the wings for almost a year while Hughes was in charge so I guess Mancini is the choosen one in Abu Dhabi..so far at least.

As opposed to Cook and Hughes that they inherited I mean.

S04 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I'm not using the term glory to say we will win something every year. What I am saying is Abu dhabi have not invested all this money for us to be also rans. If we don't challenge all the way for the title this year we have failed. If we finish a close second we dust ourselves down and have another go. But if we end up 10 points off the pace, fighting arsenal and Liverpool for 3rd and 4th then big questions have to be asked. I know a section of fans like to see us as the upstarts, some kind of over-achieving club like Swansea but we aren't . We've spent more than everyone. I wouldn't dream of swapping our squad for Anybody's .

This "let's establish ourselves in the top four" attitude is hugely naive. Look at what happened to Hughes, look at what happened to cook. These guys are not here to fuck around. They want a return on their investment. That return won't necessarily be financial , it will be in terms of world profile. The odd domestic trophy will not cut the
Mustard , they want the title and the champions league. And they arent going to wait 10 years, or even 5, to get it.

This shit is serious . This squad is serious . The time is now.

Just a point, Mancini and Lombardo was kept waiting in the wings for almost a year while Hughes was in charge so I guess Mancini is the choosen one in Abu Dhabi..so far at least.

As opposed to Cook and Hughes that they inherited I mean.

point taken.
I think there is a loyalty and ethical approach in adug. In the case of both those two they showed them too much I believe. But I also believe there's a desire for the very best and I think they will be tough if they have to be. This would certainly include people they hired as well as inherited. Look at ad's other investments-they do what it takes.

They aren't in this to play second fiddle to man united. We've already got a better squad.

For me its simple, if we improve each season, whilst pocketing extra money, fans and respect from other teams, how could we gamble on someone new with all the upheaval it involves. Great squad, that seems like a tight knit bunch too, great football to watch, EDS playing Barcelona !! Its all going well, and if a couple of mistakes, injuries to crucial players at crucial times, bad refereeing decisions etc meant that we didnt achieve two pieces of silverware instead of one, i wouldnt be shouting for anyones head. Funny how a lot of posts on here try to justify " i was there when we were shit" but dont think that what we have now is good enough. ;)

The only screaming and shouting will be from the anti City media who will label it as a crisis of world ending proportions.

Mancini is the man as far as i am concerned.He is single minded,ruthless and calm.He knows exactly what he is doing and is getting us there.

We may,like some people have said,actually be better away when other teams come at us more.

I disagree that Napoli are the weakest team in the group.Italian teams are notoriously hard to beat and they were well organised and have some quality players.

We as a club and team are in new territory here and it will be no disaster if we don't qualify out of the group.

As for not winning the other night,well we can't always win every game and we won't.Barcelona were held to a draw at home themselves,maybe they won't qualify eh?

If we went out at the group stage I would prefer to finish bottom that way we don't have to drop into the joke that is the Europa League. I'd rather concentrate on the league and domestic cups

The Bayern Munich away game is not that critical to us getting through to the knock out stages, we could lose this and still qualify.
The key games are Villareal home and away, Napoli away and Bayern Munich at home.
If we should fail then in my opinion Mancini is still the man to lead us.

Reading some quotes through this thread along the lines of we must go through,or else,like we have some divine right just because we have spent some money,we are in the toughest group,with teams from the top 4 European leagues,if we do fail we will learn from it and we will be better prepared the next time,remember Roman Abramovich has been throwing money at Chelsea for years,he still has no Champions League success,its our first time in the tournament and if we do go out early,keep the toys in the pram and have a drink to stop those jerky knees.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.