if you don't believe then don't tick

hilts said:
AlexWilliamsGloves said:
But there isnt a dont know box...so thats a non-discussion

If you are a "dont know" that doesnt suggest you dont know what your religion is, it is suggestive of " i dont know of there is a god or not"....

..therefore, if you dont know if there is a god or not, you mustnt have a religion...therefore your answer is NO RELIGION.

In other words, if you dont fall into the list of religions, then you tick NO RELIGION

my arguement is that for some none of the boxes would apply to them so it would be best not to tick any, ticking no religion would cover atheists, those unsure(by your arguement) and those who believe in god but not organised religions, this would be a large portion of society i would guess and wouldnt tell the census anything much, you might as well not tick anything or have a box that says other

the main point of my arguement was the op saying if people are unsure they should tick no religion which lumps them in with atheists which some people could be uncomfortable with

This is why I object to the no religion option.
I don't want my militant atheism linked in with some lily livered, fence sitting, agnostic coward.
i'm very uncomfortable with that.

denislawsbackheel said:
hilts said:
my arguement is that for some none of the boxes would apply to them so it would be best not to tick any, ticking no religion would cover atheists, those unsure(by your arguement) and those who believe in god but not organised religions, this would be a large portion of society i would guess and wouldnt tell the census anything much, you might as well not tick anything or have a box that says other

the main point of my arguement was the op saying if people are unsure they should tick no religion which lumps them in with atheists which some people could be uncomfortable with

I don't want my militant atheism linked in with some lily livered, fence sitting, agnostic coward.

oh so you know all the questions to existance do you??

how can you just discard the fact of a god when it's impossible to know for sure?

i think there probably isn't but how the fuck can anyone know for sure?

ban-mcfc said:
denislawsbackheel said:

how can you just discard the fact of a god when it's impossible to know for sure?

Religious types profess to know there's a God. Why can't an atheist profess to know there isn't?

Bugs Bunny said:
ban-mcfc said:

Religious types profess to know there's a God. Why can't an atheist profess to know there isn't?

oh don't get me wrong im not sticking up for religion, thats worse imo.

but i just don't get either. how can anyone be so sure?

ban-mcfc said:
Bugs Bunny said:

Because there is absolutely no solid foundation for any religion to come close to being anything more than a practical joke that's got out of hand.

What do you put if you're agnostic or atheist but have Christian (or another Abrahamic religion) values?

I'm sick of this census already, how can you narrow down something so complex to a few measly options.

Bluemoon115 said:
ban-mcfc said:

Because there is absolutely no solid foundation for any religion to come close to being anything more than a practical joke that's got out of hand.

i understand that religion is ridiculous, but you cannot possibly be sure if there is or isn't a deity that's all i'm saying.

A friend of mine is part of the group responsible for creating these questions. He told me the religion question was merely a roundabout way to discover whether somebody has a history of mental illness.

bluevengence said:
peoffrey said:
I don't need to be told what I can or can't tick on a private form that is to be completed by me and me only. It's why I loathe Richard Dawkins. He's one of the most arrogant and rude men in the world. Smug bastard.

He`s a smug bastard because he knows he`s right

How can he be "right" when he's not proved his theory? Just argued it very well.

It's the pseudo-intellectual side of his debate that I don't like. i.e. Comparing the Christian God to the Tooth Fairy. Would Christians believe in their God should the evidence for Him be the same as that of the Tooth Fairy? Has Dawkins written a book called the Tooth Fairy delusion? No and No.

This thread will inevitably result in vocal aggressive Atheists ganging up on anyone who dares disagree with them. I simply don't like it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.