If You Won The Lottery

Give most of it away. I honestly would.

Like my life and would not change it.

Maybe a new coat and invest in a few more ventures in the northern quarter and employ a few scallies down on their luck and try and help them.

Travel round Australia, NZ and the South Pacific. Give a lot to charities.
Came close to a big win twice. We got 5 out of 6 numbers on the Pennsylvania lottery, won a few thousand instead of 6 million. When I was 21 I was in a syndicate on the football pools with four other lads, the lad who filled out the coupon put West Ham down for a draw instead of West Brom as agreed and that cost us the 8 draws and 24 points.

I would retire to rural climes with my wife and a group of dogs, possibly the coast of Ireland with a pad in a big city somewhere. I'd then make sure that my family all had a strong start in life.

£1M:
Wouldn’t change my life, but I’d stick it away in a brokerage account, where it could grow for later.

£10M:
Declare Monaco as my home.
Give each of my 3 siblings £1M
Give each of my kids £1M
Put the remaining £5M into a brokerage account and transfer the conservative 4-6% annual return (£200-300K) to an account that, when added to what we already have put away, would allow me to basically do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, forever. Some of those proceeds would be for charities, some for travel, some for philanthropic ventures (educational scholarships, habitat for humanity-type endeavors, etc...). Oh, and a Tesla roadster/Acura NSX/Porsche Taycan/BMW i8 style vehicle!

£50M:
See above, plus live off the £2-3M per year in dividends and interest, add a Citation X, and have a few pied a terre around and about (Hawaii, Lake District, NZ, Caribbean maybe), then become Lord Lucan Mark II!

Last edited:
The idea of winning any prize is appealing, but for me it's the bigger the better.

A £100 million Euro Millions Jackpot is something I would have absolutely no issue with facing the challenging of dealing with.

I'd invest a decent chunk, help a few mates set up businesses they've always talked about having and give a bit to a good cause. Something I could get personally involved in and see the real benefits of my involvement with my own eyes. Maybe providing playground facilities for kids in deprived inner-city areas. I think if you've had good fortune in life you should try and 'pay a bit of it forward'.

In the main, however, my life would become one long holiday. I'd definitely have my own private jet, box at City, places in London, the Caribbean and somewhere in the country. That would be £20 million I reckon.

Although financially things have improved a lot for me recently I've been relatively skint for the last few years. One of the consequences of that is not being able to go away anywhere abroad with my son in recent years and I'd love to be able to jet off with him and take him to some of the world's most amazing places with me.

Having had money and lost it, and to some extent got it back again, I can say with some confidence that whilst it doesn't make you happy, it does make a big difference in life. I've always liked nice restaurants, hotels and cars. They make me feel nice.

Having money also changes your ranking in relation to affairs of the heart. It's not just about material things. Having lots of money makes people self-assured and means the exude self-confidence, which all combine to make someone appear more attractive to possible mates. You're calling the shots, much more than if you're skint.

It's all good, really.
It’s funny reading this back, as since I’ve posted it I’ve been on some amazing trips with my son including two trips to the States (New York/Philadelphia and Route 66) a couple round Europe (France/Spain, Switzerland/Italy) and a couple of Euro aways with City, so I’ve seen that part through as my earnings have continued to rise, but what has changed drastically is that I don’t think I’d retire now even if I won a hundred million quid - which has to be a good thing, as it shows that I’ve gone from liking my vocation, to loving it in the last five years, and that overall I’m very happy and certainly happier than I was back then, and that isn’t just down to money. Far from it.

Still wouldn’t turn £100 million down, though!

what has changed drastically is that I don’t think I’d retire now even if I won a hundred million quid - which has to be a good thing, as it shows that I’ve gone from liking my vocation, to loving it in the last five years, and that overall I’m very happy and certainly happier than I was back then, and that isn’t just down to money. Far from it.

Still wouldn’t turn £100 million down, though!

I work to live, not live to work!

While I appreciate that there is worth in work, I think 30 odd years of it have proved to anyone who knows me that I’ve done the hard work to help make it pay off. So, now, if a shit ton of dough fell in my lap, the work ends and the REAL “living” begins before I get too old to not be able to fit it all in.

I work to live, not live to work!

While I appreciate that there is worth in work, I think 30 odd years of it have proved to anyone who knows me that I’ve done the hard work to help make it pay off. So, now, if a shit ton of dough fell in my lap, the work ends and the REAL “living” begins before I get too old to not be able to fit it all in.
Everyone’s narrative is different, mate. I lost everything, went skint and then found something that pays well and I truly love; so I don’t view it as work, but rather a gift that life has given me.

If I’d done the same or similar thing for 30 years, I’m sure I’d feel differently.

£1M:
Wouldn’t change my life, but I’d stick it away in a brokerage account, where it could grow for later.

£10M:
Declare Monaco as my home.
Give each of my 3 siblings £1M
Give each of my kids £2M
Put the remaining £5M into a brokerage account and transfer the conservative 4-6% annual return (£200-300K) to an account that, when added to what we already have put away, would allow me to basically do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, forever. Some of those proceeds would be for charities, some for travel, some for philanthropic ventures (educational scholarships, habitat for humanity-type endeavors, etc...). Oh, and a Tesla roadster/Acura NSX/Porsche Taycan/BMW i8 style vehicle!

£50M:
See above, plus live off the £2-3M per year in dividends and interest, add a Citation X, and have a few pied a terre around and about (Hawaii, Lake District, NZ, Caribbean maybe), then become Lord Lucan Mark II!
I didn’t want to reply, but my OCD has demanded it.

The £10m section, £1m to your three siblings that’s £3m gone out of £10m, £7m left. You then give £2m to each of your kids which insinuates there’s more than one, let’s assume there’s 2 kids, that’s £4m, leaving you with £3m left over.

That reduces your annual interest to £140-180k, does that change anything in your plan?

Give most of it away. I honestly would.

Like my life and would not change it.

Maybe a new coat and invest in a few more ventures in the northern quarter and employ a few scallies down on their luck and try and help them.
I thought you might have considered buying the Green Man

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.