Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it could be a good time to move him on. He did a fantastic job filling in for Fernandinho but if we do sign a 60-70m DM I can see the new player starting most of the time with Fernandinho rotating in. Gundogan moved back to one of the attacking midfield roles where he's half the player, becomes a Paulinho type where the best he offers is 2 or 3 late runs into the box a game which isn't all that useful for the way we play.

But hard to say without knowing what condition Fernandinho will be in next season. 34, started picking up injuries and I didn't think he looked that sharp when he came in for a couple of games like Spurs away in CL. Could be Gundogan for games we're likely to dominate and new DM for tougher fixtures when we need someone better defensively.

It is an awkward situation. If Fernandinho/David Silva was 22 then i would want him to go as he is far to good to play backup to anyone over an extended period of time. As it is we have 1, maybe 2 more seasons from Fernandinho as he has an amazing engine. We could start to even their playing time out more? as in even if Fern is not injured he gets a rest. It does not seem madness as he is getting on a bit now, it even makes sense.

Most teams try to play footy now and not just smash the opponents. This also gives Gundo more games he can play in as the dinosaur tactics are rapidly being erased from the English game. He has also gained more confidence in himself, so make no mistake this is a player on the up. One i don't think i want to see go, he has more value to us as a player than any fee we may get for him. For example, if David Silva is out, Gundo is very very capable of filling that spot to, he is a very smart player.

Well putt
CapitalFirmAmericancrayfish-small.gif

I agree. 3 year Max. Preferably 2 years. I'm an ageist. And I'm impartial. Older players should be on shorter Contracts.

Whilst 5 years does seem a touch excessive, 2 years is way too unexcessive or whatever the correct word is. He's only 28 and his game isn't reliant on pace. Not too dissimilar to a certain Merlin in that respect; speed of thought rather than speed of foot.

3 or 4 years seems about right. Whatever it is, please just sign it. I'll be so disappointed if he opts to move on.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure some of our fans will be seeing all these wonderful plays for the first time :p

To be fair, compilation videos are often cobbled together over a season or even longer, but this one is good in that it is largely made up of clips from games that are fresh in the mind and focus on the play that leads to the more memorable finish/chance, things we tend to forget. He is very understated in what he does, but when you see this you realise he should be better appreciated.

Whilst 5 years does seem a touch excessive, 2 years is way too unexcessive or whatever the correct word is. He's only 28 and his game isn't reliant on pace. Not too dissimilar to a certain Merlin in that respect; speed of thought rather than speed of foot.

3 or 4 years seems about right. Whatever it is, please just sign it. I'll be so disappointed if he opts to move on.
In fairness I said 2 years coz he already has 1 more year left. So add 2 more years and he'll be 31 at the end of his contract. If he is still up to it, we can up him an extra year.

Btw, even slow players lose their Athletism. They just can't do what they used to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.