Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get this signing at all...and I was the one always defending Gundo in those dark days when only things about him were 'running through treacle', but once you are gone, you are gone.
How can I sell it to you?

We need someone who can take the strain off Rodri and De Bruyne this season and Gundo's dependable and available on a free transfer. It makes complete sense. He won't have been signed thinking he's going to get regular minutes - this is Foden's team now and the likes of Kovacic and McAtee are going to have bigger roles in the future.

This is like us signing David Pizzaro or Frank Lampard back in the day, only we've signed a better player than Pizarro - with a bigger sentimental attachment to the club and fans than Lampard - who already understands what Pep wants. I normally say "don't go back" and I'd probably be against this if we were planning on paying a fee, but we're not.

Above all, though, football does have room for sentimentality and nostalgia, no matter how many people say it's a ruthless sport. Aside from what Gundo will bring to the team, at least now we'll get to give him a proper goodbye. He's a treble-winning captain and the club buggered up his chance to go off into the sunset with a wave - now we can put that right.

We've won everything there is to win in the game so I'm not really after trophies this season. I just want fun and good vibes. Doku and Savinho are fun, Lewis, Bobb, and McAtee are good vibes, and Gundogan coming back to share minutes with De Bruyne while Foden is given the reigns is such a sweet passing of the torch ceremony that I might cry.

Here is one of our greatest ever players.
He wants to come back to the club.
He left on good terms.
He has been identified for his coaching skill - the box midfield is his.

This seems to me like a well-thought-out move.

The only negative is the feeling among young players that their chance to break in to the team may be lessened. The caveat is that learning from Gundo is as good as it gets.

I suspect this is a player-coach arrangement. Player now, shift into position in the CFG.

If we accept we needed another senior midfielder and we were going to buy one, then young players would have seen their chances lessened anyway. Probably more of a route through with Gundo on a free for a year, than a 60 70 100m full international player in their mid twenties on a 4, 5 year contract.

True. But we had a lot less quality then, Chelsea sort of ruined him, it wasn't as quick a turn around....and Pep.
No different to the Gundo situation. There have been plenty of non City examples as well. It is not negative it is telling it as it. Returning players very rarely works out as it is first planned.

I just don't get this signing at all...and I was the one always defending Gundo in those dark days when only things about him were 'running through treacle', but once you are gone, you are gone.
Such a blinkered view. Football, business and life are multi faceted and complex. So to have such a simplistic rule of, once you're gone you're gone, makes zero sense and could mean you miss out on great opportunities and gains for the sake of a silly pre defined moral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.