Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep found a really good solution during the tour of the US. Kovacic is a year wiser and Rodri rarely gets rotated even with depth. We still have to find another replacement for Gundo.

That is it, right there. Pep found a solution. To a problem, that was clearly there. It was good in one game, how sustainable it would have been, hard to say. But now he has further options and the problem is far less severe. He doesn't have to bin that solution, he now has more to play with in the event of injuries, suspension, fatigue or loss of form. He wouldn't be gong for it if he thought it would disrupt.

I still can't at all get this 'replacement' point though, just can't see what his signing changes in that regard.

But we have exchanged views on it, I am happy to leave it there now.

The thing is, this is happening. At some point you will have to begin to embrace it pal, otherwise your season will be less enjoyable, and that would be a shame.

SSN have just been creaming themselves over this, they also banged on about just how well run we are generally and in regards to transfers, both in and out, and how rarely we get anything wrong.

Hmm. Must mean they know we are getting relegated soon. Right?

Again we should be looking forwards when signing players and not backwards. There are examples where clubs shouldn't sign their former stars even after having a good season. Ronaldo being the recent one.
PR37 returning to the swamp made perfect sense.

To Blues, anyway.

Gundo is still a highly influencial player and I don't think he is going to expect to play a perhiery part at City. He has retired from international football so that is one less demand. Rightly or wrongly he publically shamed his former teamates at Barcelona and that has probably ended his short spell at his one of boyhood clubs.
Boyhood club? Barca wanted rid of him for financial reasons.

That is it, right there. Pep found a solution. To a problem, that was clearly there. It was good in one game, how sustainable it would have been, hard to say. But now he has further options and the problem is far less severe. He doesn't have to bin that solution, he now has more to play with in the event of injuries, suspension, fatigue or loss of form. He wouldn't be gong for it if he thought it would disrupt.

I still can't at all get this 'replacement' point though, just can't see what his signing changes in that regard.

But we have exchanged views on it, I am happy to leave it there now.

The thing is, this is happening. At some point you will have to begin to embrace it pal, otherwise your season will be less enjoyable, and that would be a shame.
The issue is we we have won convincingly against a strong opponent without Rodri. And another is can Gundo can sustain it in a higher intesive league. We have signed Savinho and before Bobb's injury we have another highly promising EDS looking to breakthrough. There is still plenty to get really excited about even without Gundo's return. Foden's awards is another one. This signing is not a make or break.

Last edited:
The way I see it we were a body or two and a profile or two short of being able to compete across all fronts last year. If we had won the shootout against Madrid I don't think we would have won the league. This isn't really about cover for Rodri, as Gundo was never especially great in that role, but adding tools and players into the box that Pep can work with on a week by week basis in a season that has a world cup at the end and 2 more games in the CL. If come the run-in Gundo is in our first eleven for big games over others he'll be there on merit and because it serves a purpose. Gundo + a decent second striker takes us from being light to really being able to challenge in every competition we are in in the next twelve months. In my opinion, this is our most diverse squad in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.