Im moving to Germany next week

ICT-Tam said:
Ticket For Schalke said:
I went to Australia when i was 18 for a year, best thing i ever did, and doing it alone is a bonus, as i learnt from other people you become over reliable on each other.

Just do your own thing mate, and see as much as you can, find a local boozer to get to know locals, and dont be afraid of trying new food and other things.

Being alone isnt the easiest so prepare to take the rough with the smooth, If you feel like giving up, try and dig deep as you gain so many qualities money cannot buy, from independance, you will mature alot quicker, you will become more outgoing and find meeting people alot easier in future life.

Have a good trip pal and good luck.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Im hoping i can find a football team to play for which will help with the language and the loneliness. The drink is something i have to be careful of. Last weekend i was hospitalized for passing out in the street, and then i received a fine. Im hoping that it will help me mature in the long run.

I thought that was normal when coming out of Johny Foxes :-)

ICT-Tam said:
Ticket For Schalke said:
I went to Australia when i was 18 for a year, best thing i ever did, and doing it alone is a bonus, as i learnt from other people you become over reliable on each other.

Just do your own thing mate, and see as much as you can, find a local boozer to get to know locals, and dont be afraid of trying new food and other things.

Being alone isnt the easiest so prepare to take the rough with the smooth, If you feel like giving up, try and dig deep as you gain so many qualities money cannot buy, from independance, you will mature alot quicker, you will become more outgoing and find meeting people alot easier in future life.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Im hoping i can find a football team to play for which will help with the language and the loneliness. The drink is something i have to be careful of. Last weekend i was hospitalized for passing out in the street, and then i received a fine. Im hoping that it will help me mature in the long run.

Haha you dont have to get bladdered, on the continent bladdered people are frowned upon, have a coffee, or just a few beers, familiarise yourself, and make the effort to talk the native language, they will respect you a lot more and will be more willing to help you out.

law74 said:
ICT-Tam said:
Ticket For Schalke said:

I thought that was normal when coming out of Johny Foxes :-)

It was coming out of the co-op! Haha

Lived over there for 7 years in the 90s when I was in the RAF, Germans are top people you will love it, make every effort to speak the language and they will appreciate it, they may laugh at you as you try but they will bloody well like you for trying and help you out no end. Drinking culture is completely different try and join a football club you will be amazed at how professionally set up a lot are. Immerse yourself in the culture and you will love it.

moved to spain on my own when i had just turned 19

best thing i ever did and would recommend it to absolutely anyone. it forces you to grow up in ways you can´t even imagine now!

make yourself get out there into bars, clubs, cafes and just talk to as many people as you can. like someone said before, dont be embarassed about trying to speak the language as they will love it if you try, you will pick it up in no time.

you will have bad days where you feel like shit, away from your family and all comforts that you know, but you will also get through them and the good times will far outweigh the bad times.. you will learn a million new things every day, make the most of every second.. good luck blue :)

Blue Maverick said:
Lived over there for 7 years in the 90s when I was in the RAF, Germans are top people you will love it, make every effort to speak the language and they will appreciate it, they may laugh at you as you try but they will bloody well like you for trying and help you out no end. Drinking culture is completely different try and join a football club you will be amazed at how professionally set up a lot are. Immerse yourself in the culture and you will love it.

Thanks mate. Great advice.

manchesterchica said:
moved to spain on my own when i had just turned 19

best thing i ever did and would recommend it to absolutely anyone. it forces you to grow up in ways you can´t even imagine now!

make yourself get out there into bars, clubs, cafes and just talk to as many people as you can. like someone said before, dont be embarassed about trying to speak the language as they will love it if you try, you will pick it up in no time.

you will have bad days where you feel like shit, away from your family and all comforts that you know, but you will also get through them and the good times will far outweigh the bad times.. you will learn a million new things every day, make the most of every second.. good luck blue :)

Yeah, my German is pretty shabby but I'm determined to get the hang of it. I'd hate to have to speak in English to everyone. Thanks, i am on the whole, very excited but its daunting to leave behind all my friends and family.
Cheers everyone! :)

I moved to Bucharest when I was 21 for work and the experience.. always wanted to work abroad, got bored of Denton and hated the way UK was going..

Anyway, was best decision Ive ever made.. had the best 2 years ever in Bucharest and carried on working abroad since... Now 5 years later im in Cambodia (as I fell in love with SE Asia) earning a good coin and enjoying every fecking day!!!

My advice, do it!!!!! and get involved with everything that you can.. you wont regret it!!

ICT-Tam said:
Yeah, my German is pretty shabby but I'm determined to get the hang of it. I'd hate to have to speak in English to everyone. Thanks, i am on the whole, very excited but its daunting to leave behind all my friends and family.
Cheers everyone! :)

welcome to my home country! (at least a remote part of it)
Don´t worry, the guys down there also speak a shabby version of german.

the local football club, the FCS, is playing League 3, so at least you can watch some football with a decent fan support at the Ludwigspark.

I did a semester at Leipzig university as part of my degree and had the time of my life. The Germans are fantastic people, and don't worry about the language as most people in Saarbruecken will be able to speak English anyway.
In fact, I loved it so much that after 9 years, I'm still in Germany.
Seriously mate, go ahead and do it, you'll absolutely love it!
But be careful! You'll almost certainly miss stupid things like white bread, chocolate and mushy peas.
And make sure you introduce yourself to the barstaff at the local Irish bar as you want to make sure you can see City games!!!!

Ich wuensche dir ein schoenes Jahr!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.