I'm not paranoid but, how smart are smartphones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BlueMoonRisin', 15 Aug 2019.

1. mat

mat

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/amphtm...DIR0kCLWadisye52b3L48lM9rXqLxhSJXnPc3Nqdwi5Bc

This social media admit it.

The ones who haven't you need to worry about.

Dubai Blue likes this.
  2. aguero93:20

aguero93:20

Team supported:
    Team Pep
    I have.

Dubai Blue likes this.
  3. Dubai Blue

Dubai Blue

This is absolutely happening. The social media companies don't even deny it anymore. And I've noticed it getting even more sinister since arriving back in the UK on holiday.

One example... me and the missus were in London last week and she had no roaming data, so we were only using my phone when out and about. We'd been looking at some watches for her on my phone while on the train back to the hotel. When she finally connected to WiFi, HER Facebook and Instagram were being targeted with ads for the exact same watches we'd been looking at on MY phone.

Another one... on the same trip, she was in Next trying on some new work clothes. Their UAE website is 20% cheaper (no VAT) so she took photos of the barcodes, with the intention of buying them online once we get back. Next day her Facebook and Instagram feeds are full of ads for those same five items.

Sadly, you're right though. They're technically not doing this without our consent as by signing up to these apps, we're effectively giving them permission to snoop on us 24 hours a day. It's relentless and it needs reining in. As others have said, watch The Great Hack (even just the first 30 mins) and prepare to have your mind blown.

4. urban genie

urban genie

Fictional but closer to the truth than people think was this episode of black morror

Not just the tech companies, every and any site you go in could have tech that activates your microphone or camera unknown to you.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2019
  5. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

For those concerned about Alexa listening to everything ... Amazon are coming up with a 'male' version called Alex

It doesn't listen to anything and won't respond.

6. Mada-MCFC-adaM

Mada-MCFC-adaM

Since turning my microphone off in the individual app settings I don't feel like it's listening in anymore. I also turn location off until I need it when I'm abroad or something.
    Ok Google is switched off.

I also use Brave browser which has a built in ad blocker and tracker blocker, so no ads can be directed at me. I sign in to my Google account on there and have a very fast, ad free browsing experience.

7. jimharri

jimharri

[​IMG]

8. kippax4ever

kippax4ever

Women suspenders for me.must be the Mrs using my phone

9. crooky

crooky

Yeah but it says in that article it was for the dictation function of Messenger. Facebook even explicitly say they don't take recordings unless you grant the relevant permissions and activate it yourself.

'The companies each said they used the practice to grade and analyse the quality of their voice and language recognition services, with the aim of improving their performance.'

There's nothing to say they use any unrequested recordings and nothing to say they use these for adverts.

10. crooky

crooky

Do you both have the Facebook app on your phones with all sorts of permissions enabled and are you down as married on Facebook?

Regarding the photos of the barcodes what app were you using to take pictures of the barcodes?

I've taken a fair few pics of barcodes using my camera app and seen nothing related. I've also used an app called ''barvalid" for actually scanning the barcodes themselves and also the barcode scanner built into the Samsung Internet app... And I don't get anything.