I'm not paranoid but, how smart are smartphones?

Was that my comment? My idea is that my mate’s phone picked up the conversation about the product and then because both phones were in the same location (and we’re friends on Facebook) it put the add on my Facebook
Yes and I think you're right with that theory . As regards my situation I work and live with my girlfriend so when we go to the pub my phone at home will not be touched, logically they will know where I in all probability will be. Of course they then can tap into any phone to listen. Why go to that trouble for an advert is beyond me. Such a random advert too. Many other adverts I could put down to coincidence. On a side note I am always slating Facebook regarding politics and how much they influence. Makes you wonder if my cards are marked lol.

Also been on the 75 year old pension thread, chatted to the mrs about it and had an ad for pensions and investment.
Paranoia or otherwise?

My phone will be hearing me say aren't you a good girl to my cat 100 times a day,i expect it has it's fingers in it's ear by now lol,i don't use for phone for the internet so i don't get ads and don't be on facebook,i reckon thats hacked to death

Yes and I think you're right with that theory . As regards my situation I work and live with my girlfriend so when we go to the pub my phone at home will not be touched, logically they will know where I in all probability will be. Of course they then can tap into any phone to listen. Why go to that trouble for an advert is beyond me. Such a random advert too. Many other adverts I could put down to coincidence. On a side note I am always slating Facebook regarding politics and how much they influence. Makes you wonder if my cards are marked lol.
Fuck knows why they’d think I’d be interested in a non alcoholic beer. They obviously have no link to my untappd beer app

This thread has just reminded me I hadn't whitelisted my favourite sites (including this one) on my new phone.

My first advert on here. 25% off some Ohaus medical 'mixers and shakers'

Reassuringly off the mark.

Fuck knows why they’d think I’d be interested in a non alcoholic beer. They obviously have no link to my untappd beer app

I got money off some Peroni non alcoholic beer from Tesco the other day as well. No one has ever bought the vile stuff in this household so no idea why I've received it either. I smell a government/NHS/WHO conspiracy!

Oh shit...

The Mrs was sitting on the sofa using her iPad. She got an email in to her account for a deal on a hotel room in London.
We had a chat and she booked.
I then open Bluemoon on my iPad and scrolling across the top is...

An ad for that hotel deal...!
This isn't as amazing as it sounds. If your devices are all connected to the same wifi, when you browse the internet they all appear as the same IP address, an identification number just for your router. So your iPad and her iPad both appear as the same IP number. Your phone does, your TV does, your printer, your fridge, your light bulbs - you get my drift. Incidentally they can identify the type of device, operating system, browser and many other things. In the case you mentioned, the adverts are being delivered to various websites by the same database of stored IP addresses based usually on what you have been searching for, it's not a coincidence.

Also been on the 75 year old pension thread, chatted to the mrs about it and had an ad for pensions and investment.
Paranoia or otherwise?
No, the software on this site is 'scraping' keywords off the page text and creating ads based on what you are looking at.

In terms of the number of instructions per second, smartphones are more powerful than the combined computing power of NASA in 1969. In fact a single iPhone 6 could guide 120,000,000 Apollo era spacecraft to the moon simultaneously.

In terms of the number of instructions per second, smartphones are more powerful than the combined computing power of NASA in 1969. In fact a single iPhone 6 could guide 120,000,000 Apollo era spacecraft to the moon simultaneously.

Blimey.

I used to have an iPhone 6.

You try and open Spotify in a hurry, no chance it was slow as fuck. Dunno how those boys managed it with those old IBM monsters.

Hoax confirmed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.