I'm not really here

Agree with all of this.

We all knew that Lakey's injury was a disaster not just for Lakey personally but for our club too.

What I didn't know was just how badly the club seems to have let him down in the management of the injury. The story about how Lakey's medical file was shredded is just unbelievable (in more ways than one - I wonder if the explanation 'it didn't make sense' actually means 'it made perfect sense but the contents were so damaging we thought we'd better shred it'). Contrast that with the way the new owners have dealt with him - CITC, the hall of fame, all that stuff. As with the Neil Young stuff the new ownership of the club has shown itself to be absolutely magnificent in the way it deals with our former heroes. Those who say that City now has no class and has lost its soul should read this book and think long and hard about what it is they are actually saying - that the club who skimped on the cost of the flight back from LAX after his operation was somehow had more dignity and was more responsible than the club which is pouring billions into the re-development of East Manchester.

The other thing about it that I thought was that it wasn't just a great read but brilliantly written as well. I don't think there wat a ghost-writer or anyone else (except his missus) involved in the writing of the book, and if so, fair play to him (and her) for not just telling the story, but really telling it well. I knew he could play, I didn't know he could write.

Dunno if he fancies writing anything else, but I'd be well up for reading it if he did.

Great read. 1 - 2 sittings will get you through it but not over it. Utd do come out of it looking good but it was sound, Quinnie again proves what a top bloke he is. Looking at the masters tournament, watching reddie, would Lakey have been there too. Would have liked to see him make an iodiot out of keane.
btw, difficult enough to buy a copy in ireland, as they are sold out.

Zonalmarking said:
What is the jist of how Ferguson treated Lakey etc..
Basically Lakeys testimonial they were supposed to play Rangers however due to cost of policing it wasn't going to make it worthwhile, someone approached Fergie, now bearing in mind both City and Utd had played on the Sat (the match was on the Sunday) and then a lot of the Utd team, Beckham, the Nevilles and also Giggs were on International duty he allowed them to play the following day, even saying they should have come to him first as he would have been delighted to play for Paul as he was such an admirer of him. Utd put out a full strength team which was unheard of for testimonials, all the England lads played 20 mins (Hoddle had decreed that) but Giggs played all 90 mins. To me it speaks volumes of what all other professionals and in particular our bitterest rivals in the game thought of Paul and his struggles.

This is the best football/ City book I've ever read, told with honesty & dignity it was a pleasure to read, even the upsetting parts of the book.

I like the story of when he was on his way to Maine Road for the 5-1 derby & he stopped at the lights & made eye contact with a blue & his son who put his hands together in prayer & mouthed 'please!'

This man always knew what it was like to be a blue & carried that onto the pitch. I'm so glad that his depression didnt get the better of him & I'm proud that he isnt bitter, even though he has more right to be than all of us!

I think I'll read it again now!

Got a signed copy at the Ashton Supporters Club meeting last week, next meeting Sat 17th 2PM, new members welcome. Plug over it was a great night with a great Q+A session with Paul who then chatted to individuals while signing. Top bloke and it is obvious he is a City fan first City employee second.
To the OP one of the things he said was the vision of the owners and chairman was for local talent to play for City hence the investment in the area so hopefully a Manchester born City captain in the not too distant future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.