In my youth, I played at trains...

BTH

Call me sad, but... when I was a boy the only things I wanted that I didn't already have were – in no particular order - a Raleigh Chopper and a train set. I had to settle for a Raleigh Tomahawk in the end and pretend that it had gears - it didn't. The train set, alas, I didn't get until I was about 15 - a mere matter of months before I discovered the demon drink and thus too late.

My old fella made every excuse under the sun as to why I couldn't have a train set - no room, uses up too much electric - and sent me off to watch the real trains on the nearby railway line.

There's something about the railway that gets in your blood - or doesn't. Either way, there's no middle ground.

I was in the pub one Thursday night recently and mentioned a model train I'd seen that day in a shop in town: the LMS "City of Manchester." Two or three people got involved in the conversation; they blurted it all out, how they loved trains but no doubt they'd been too embarrassed to mention, “the love that dare not speak its name,” before, but there you have it.

Most blokes, I’ve found, love trains: real or model ones. Not for nothing did a bunch of railway enthusiasts raise £3 million to build a brand new steam train over almost 20 years: “Tornado” was completed two years ago. Simply stand next to the stationary “Mallard” at the National Railway Museum in York and behold the power and the glory, the design and the craftsmanship if you’re struggling with that concept.

But even I was a bit surprised when my brother rang me earlier to ask me how to set his train set up; he'd found it during the course of his work. Why can't I have a job like that, I wondered. Anyway, he'd stumbled across the Inter City 125 HST set from the '80s: the very same one as my mate John had all those years ago, the bastard!

There was once a Football Class of steam trains although the LNER's "Manchester City" was shortlived and quickly renamed. Hornby have never made a model of that, but naturally enough, they've made a version of the rags' steam train. No doubt it's a steady seller in the Far East…

"In my youth, I played at trains: now all steam is gone" - Peter Hammill

I spend too much time on trains to actually enjoy them.

I can see the appeal but for me it's just that place where I sit until my arse goes numb whilst listening to my ipod and checking out the fit catering trolley girl.

The fit trolley girl happened once, the numb arse and ipod are consistent.

If only I could drive...

Depends on the train and journey.

Did Manchester-Sheffield when we had a blanket of snow the other week. Scenery was stunning. As was the trip up to Edinburgh last year.

I always find something comforting about the train back to Manchester from Euston. Table seat, netbook, internet, 4 tinnies and a nice sarnie. Just the job.

Some of the cattle sheds that run locally are a fecking disgrace.

There is something about steam trains that makes me want to watch them more than ride in them.

Have spent many a glorious summer's afternoon at the East Lancs station in Bury, supping a pint or three, and just watching the steam trains pull up etc.

I don't need to get in them as that spoils the fun, it's more the atmosphere and the smell to be honest.

Never been a train person in that sense, but i do find it the most comfortable way of travelling.

Glasgow to Fort William is a good one, with an indian carry out and a couple of beers.

Did a 36 hour train journey (steam) from Madras to Balasore (east coast of India) in 1987 and saw some great steam trains, absolutely loved it but can't understand standing on a station platform taking photos and writing down names or numbers.

I grew up next to Stalybridge station, with Rev. Awdry's Railway Series books read to me at night. I remember once standing close by the entrance to Mossley tunnel as the Mallard passed through, the maddest, noisiest, bluest thing my 4 year old eyes had ever seen. I was no trainspotter, but steam trains subsequently always caused this involuntary transfixment in me. I tried to explain this to my wife early in our relationship, but she never quite got it til we went to the NRM in York, where I spent the day just bouncing about going 'FUCKING WOW!' in boyish glee. I stood on the step of Mallard that day, in that vast hangar, and it just transported me, reduced me to that same involuntary state of awe I felt as a kid watching this thing tear the arse out of the scenery.

mackenzie said:
There is something about steam trains that makes me want to watch them more than ride in them.

Have spent many a glorious summer's afternoon at the East Lancs station in Bury, supping a pint or three, and just watching the steam trains pull up etc.

I don't need to get in them as that spoils the fun, it's more the atmosphere and the smell to be honest.

This post is literature worth saving.

I was there with you when I read it ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.