Inflatables/Flags banners etc for stoke?

Squadmissile said:
MuzMcfc said:
Well lets just make it a Neil Young tribute again. All red and black scarf. maybe the odd red and black smoke bombs (providing no idiots try to launch them again) and inflatables mixed in.
Should be a good day.
Why? Has he died again?

Apologies the key word I missed was "like". It would be good to use the Red and black as our FA cup colours in the stands like a couple of years back. it's something different anyway.

MuzMcfc said:
Well lets just make it a Neil Young tribute again. All red and black scarf. maybe the odd red and black smoke bombs (providing no idiots try to launch them again) and inflatables mixed in.
Should be a good day.
Let's just have a celebration of the club we support. Blue instead of red though!

Last time we did this at Stoke we got stuffed :-

On Boxing Day 1988 12,000 Manchester City supporters descended upon Stoke’s beautifully dilapidated Victoria Ground dressed as superheroes, penguins, oversized Andy Pandys and, in my case accompanied as I was by my elder sibling, one half of the Blues Brothers. Almost everyone, to a man, woman and child, carried with them an inflatable toy of varying types and sizes – from enormous paddling pools to crocodiles, from seven foot golf clubs to more bananas than you’ll find at Spitalfields Market and to make matters even more surreal most were lavishly decorated with tinsel or dressed in hats and club shirts.

The day is now looked back on fondly by both sets of fans – by blues because it represents the zenith of the short-lived but wonderful inflatables craze that soon spread throughout football and by Stoke because they metaphorically deflated each and every banana that chilly December afternoon with a storming 3-1 win.

Nobody likes a party pooper but when the party is being held by drunken, daftly-dressed gate-crashers in your own house I guess it’s understandable why they celebrated the victory with such relish.

With highly unusual generosity City were allocated both the Butler Street and Stoke End paddocks that day which almost ceded home advantage to the rowdy hordes who’d piled down the M6. The decision was made by chairman Peter Coates out of financial necessity but that didn’t stop widespread disgruntlement from the home fans that was made even worse when they witnessed the City team emerge carrying large inflatable bananas which they gleefully tossed into the stands.

The swollen away support did however incite a cracking atmosphere with the Victoria Ground rammed to capacity many of whom were topping up their Christmas Day booze-fest and very much in seasonal cheer. It was a feral, fizzing, boisterous cauldron the likes of which it is impossible to imagine ever being replicated at a modern-day arena.

It’s just a shame that only one team showed up.

Ex-City player Paul Lake recently told the Cutter that losing that game ranks as one of the biggest disappointments of his career (“There were guys in fancy dress as clowns…to me there were also eleven clowns on the pitch, myself included. We let the fans down badly”) but although the defeat momentarily stung – I recall dragging my blow-up skeleton through slush puddles all the way back to the car – it was ultimately only a temporary blip on a successful promotion charge that eventually led to more banana madness at Bradford on the final day of the season.

In the intervening months the bizarre fashion for taking inflatable toys to games extended to grounds right across the UK – from thousands of haddock being waved on the Grimby terraces to black puddings at Bury and hammers at…well, you can guess where. Stoke meanwhile showed that they were not averse to the fun by turning up to the corresponding fixture at Maine Road soon after and filling the away end with a multitude of blow-up Pink Panthers.

jert said:
Last time we did this at Stoke we got stuffed :-

On Boxing Day 1988 12,000 Manchester City supporters descended upon Stoke’s beautifully dilapidated Victoria Ground dressed as superheroes, penguins, oversized Andy Pandys and, in my case accompanied as I was by my elder sibling, one half of the Blues Brothers. Almost everyone, to a man, woman and child, carried with them an inflatable toy of varying types and sizes – from enormous paddling pools to crocodiles, from seven foot golf clubs to more bananas than you’ll find at Spitalfields Market and to make matters even more surreal most were lavishly decorated with tinsel or dressed in hats and club shirts.

The day is now looked back on fondly by both sets of fans – by blues because it represents the zenith of the short-lived but wonderful inflatables craze that soon spread throughout football and by Stoke because they metaphorically deflated each and every banana that chilly December afternoon with a storming 3-1 win.

Nobody likes a party pooper but when the party is being held by drunken, daftly-dressed gate-crashers in your own house I guess it’s understandable why they celebrated the victory with such relish.

With highly unusual generosity City were allocated both the Butler Street and Stoke End paddocks that day which almost ceded home advantage to the rowdy hordes who’d piled down the M6. The decision was made by chairman Peter Coates out of financial necessity but that didn’t stop widespread disgruntlement from the home fans that was made even worse when they witnessed the City team emerge carrying large inflatable bananas which they gleefully tossed into the stands.

The swollen away support did however incite a cracking atmosphere with the Victoria Ground rammed to capacity many of whom were topping up their Christmas Day booze-fest and very much in seasonal cheer. It was a feral, fizzing, boisterous cauldron the likes of which it is impossible to imagine ever being replicated at a modern-day arena.

It’s just a shame that only one team showed up.

Ex-City player Paul Lake recently told the Cutter that losing that game ranks as one of the biggest disappointments of his career (“There were guys in fancy dress as clowns…to me there were also eleven clowns on the pitch, myself included. We let the fans down badly”) but although the defeat momentarily stung – I recall dragging my blow-up skeleton through slush puddles all the way back to the car – it was ultimately only a temporary blip on a successful promotion charge that eventually led to more banana madness at Bradford on the final day of the season.

In the intervening months the bizarre fashion for taking inflatable toys to games extended to grounds right across the UK – from thousands of haddock being waved on the Grimby terraces to black puddings at Bury and hammers at…well, you can guess where. Stoke meanwhile showed that they were not averse to the fun by turning up to the corresponding fixture at Maine Road soon after and filling the away end with a multitude of blow-up Pink Panthers.

I was there that day in the side paddock. The atmosphere was indeed a proper "old-skool" atmosphere. I can remember Stoke fans burning a banana at one point. I also remember ET and some others almost staging a half time pitch invasion.

Most memorable image for me was the sight of around a hundred or so City fans outside the ground after charging into a mob of Stoke who'd gathered across some waste ground. A bloke dressed in full fancy dress was at the front (he might have been dressed a copper but my memory has lost that bit) screaming "Come on Stoke you soft cunts!".

this red and black FA Cup thing needs putting to bed now, we won the cup in 2011 wearing Blue, We won the cup in 76 wearing Blue.

we play in Blue and a sea of Blue looks great in the crowd

mekonmcfc said:
this red and black FA Cup thing needs putting to bed now, we won the cup in 2011 wearing Blue, We won the cup in 76 wearing Blue.

We won the Cup in 1934 and 1956 wearing Maroon on both occasions, 1904 in Sky.

Red as part of our kit has never sat right with me, and never will.

All this let`s bring back the inflatable routine really does my head in.

It`s in the past so leave it in the past!

Every big game / cup game we have someone always brings this idea and there is always either a half assed effort or none at all.

Flags/banners and smoke bombs for sure though.

ManCityTom said:

Every big game / cup game we have someone always brings this idea and there is always either a half assed effort or none at all.

they do look awesome

mekonmcfc said:

Why don't we all wear black?

The missus (Spanish) was watching Wet Sham against the rags the other day and asked why hardly any of the away fans had colours on. And she's seen City away in places like Dortmund and Salónika, so she knows how we all turn up.

ManCityTom said:

Are you anti poznan too? We last had success years and years ago, shall we leave the thoughts of City doing well in the past too?

I think anything that makes us stand out from the rest is good publicity, and a sea of blue below random inflatables would look awesome!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.