Inigo Martinez

Walker 6'1'' replaces Zabba 5' 10''

Mendy 6' 2'' replaces Clichy 5' 9''

Danilo 6' 0'' replaces Sagna 5' 9''

It's possible next season we could put out a team where 8/11 players are 6ft+ :

352 - Ederson; Otamendi, Kompany, Stones; Walker, Silva, KDB, Yaya, Mendy; Sané, Aguero.
Walker is not 6'1 haha

I'm not saying they are awful but compared with other positions it is hard to say we have recruited quality for the money spent.
I'm hoping the next one is good can't say I know much about him though.

For the money, I kinda agree more. I just think sometimes we are too harsh on our defenders.

Hopefully the next one in is a bargain and a worldy :-)

Walker 6'1'' replaces Zabba 5' 10''

Mendy 6' 2'' replaces Clichy 5' 9''

Danilo 6' 0'' replaces Sagna 5' 9''

It's possible next season we could put out a team where 8/11 players are 6ft+ :

352 - Ederson; Otamendi, Kompany, Stones; Walker, Silva, KDB, Yaya, Mendy; Sané, Aguero.

Holy shit Mendy is taller than I thought.
Anything that doesn't make Sterling mark an opposing CB a foot taller than him.

My point was purely that centre backs have not been the strong point of the scouting team, we have brought in at least one per year ever since the take over and by a margin the only one that has fully worked was Demichelis, who Pellegrini knew well.
We have scouted some great players but so far centre backs have not really worked.
(I am certainly not writing off or condemning Stones but so far you would have to say not proven)

I don't think you can blame the scouting or the defenders we've bought, if any of them played for the SCUM in their rigid 451 formation they would be a lot more protected than they are for us.

We play a high risk / high reward formation which leaves back 5 exposed

I don't think you can blame the scouting or the defenders we've bought, if any of them played for the SCUM in their rigid 451 formation they would be a lot more protected than they are for us.

We play a high risk / high reward formation which leaves back 5 exposed
I'm not really trying to blame anyone just pointing out that so far for the money spent our centre back recruitment has not been a great success.
Yes we do play a high line and have done since Mancini left, the scouts have presumably known that and so far the only recruited player who has worked well with this system was Demichelis, who was essentially brought in by Pellers.
I don't want to go around castigating the club and it's employees who by and large have done a great job. But it's perverse not to acknowledge amongst ourselves the more obvious areas for improvement.

£27m can hardly be seen as a small amount of money.

Given the potential other options I think it's seen that way. Van Dijk, Laporte, Marquinhos, all far more expensive.

Think there are are other ways to save on that position, keep Mangala and give Tosin a chance. Thought there was also an opportunity to make a deal for Koulibaly (or even Jorginho, although I know he's not a centre half but a good player) when Napoli wanted/want Rulli and Zinchenko.

Saying that, we could also make a deal with Sociedad to not trigger Rulli's buy back clause if they give us a much better deal on Martinez, so we have options if we want to save money for Sanchez or Mbappe this summer.

Think keeping Mangala and giving Tosin a chance is the best one, given I think our centre backs will be better now we have proper full backs.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.