Insulation and condensation saves the planet!

Ye totally get it, the last new build we were in we sealed all the trickle vents as the draught from them was silly, insulate your house but have a frigging draught running through it! Another thing with the moisture is we’ve had a log burner installed, never crossed my mind the other night so this could be why we had excess moisture as well! I suppose it’s experimentation now to see what’s best to do.
Yes its massively important to ventilate your home for your own health and wellbeing. We need fresh air to live healthily and ventilation stops issues such as dust mites and helps prevent allergies. Additionally it will help prevent the risks of condensation and mould growth, which again as well as being unsightly can impact on your health.

Of course we want to insulate homes, to make them better to live in and reduce heating bills, but also provide ventilation to help people live healthily. The two should not be mutually exclusive. Its surprising in this day and age its not fully understood.

Hopefully you are ventilating your house now, as, if not, the moisture from the plaster has got no place to escape and so may cause a temporary issue with condensation.

Yes its massively important to ventilate your home for your own health and wellbeing. We need fresh air to live healthily and ventilation stops issues such as dust mites and helps prevent allergies. Additionally it will help prevent the risks of condensation and mould growth, which again as well as being unsightly can impact on your health.

Of course we want to insulate homes, to make them better to live in and reduce heating bills, but also provide ventilation to help people live healthily. The two should not be mutually exclusive. Its surprising in this day and age its not fully understood.

Hopefully you are ventilating your house now, as, if not, the moisture from the plaster has got no place to escape and so may cause a temporary issue with condensation.
Absolutely agree mate it’s just they bang on about insulation but not ventilation, im working on the solution, we have a few windows on the “catch” now as we have no trickle vents, the dehumidifier is helping and the door to the garage is permanently open as it will be 90% of the time.

Absolutely agree mate it’s just they bang on about insulation but not ventilation, im working on the solution, we have a few windows on the “catch” now as we have no trickle vents, the dehumidifier is helping and the door to the garage is permanently open as it will be 90% of the time.
Well we do bang on about it but people block them up :-)

Pack of 10 for £16.00

OyrIF4L.jpg

Pack of 10 for £16.00

OyrIF4L.jpg

They are pretty good. Unless they break and then leave all the scuzzy water on your carpet.

They do plastic tubs with the same arrangement. I'm using these for all it's worth. Flat is ventilated for at least an hour every day.

I've also got an anti-bac air-filter in the bedroom because that's close to the damp areas. 60 quid on amazon, it's very reassuring and lovely to have a gentle cool clean air flow by the bed at night. The normal filters are stupid, they collect bacteria and start to stink after a month. Shell out the extra for the anti-bacterial filters - they are ok for many months.

This year I’ve been steadily insulating our 50 year old house, new roof, new loft insulation 270mm with boarding on top, I’ve just completed an attached garage conversion with a huge amount of insulation in it, all to building specs. The past few days the condensation has been horrendous on the inside of the house, we don’t have trickle vents on our windows last house I was in we did but it was so drafty we needed up closing the up. The garage conversion has just been plastered and a lot of moisture could be coming from that but the extra insulation has made the house warmer but a fucking nightmare with condensation.
Ive heard there’s lots of problems in new builds these days they are so well insulated people are getting mold due to shit ventilation. Walking the dog this morning and almost every house looked similar to mine, with moisture inside. We ended up buying a dehumidifier to see if we can dry out the garage quicker to see if that helps.
Brick the windows and set light to it, then build a Passivhaus.

Our main bedroom bags filled completly in three weeks, which quite suprised us, no wonder our windows and sills were piss wet through. However in the spirit of Baldrick, we've come up with a cunning fiendish plan to get another gasp of goodness out of our Amazon moisture kits.

At the top of the capture bag we pricked a small hole and squeezed the water out, then we sealed it back up with a blob of silicone. The granules continue to do their amazing work, so we can acheive six weeks for an outlay of £16 and cheaper by far than a dehumidifier.

Having said that a dehumidifier would improve overall air quality by doing the job more quickly, albeit at a far greater outlay. On a down note the bags look ridiclous hanging up in every room.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.