Insulation and condensation saves the planet!

Sorry mate , just listening to some music. Had a look and apparantly its Calcium Chloride and works a treat. Ideal for windows, wardrobes, basements bathrooms etc.

26aCdBW.jpg
Yeah ...that picture is FULL of salt.

Well played, Mister Bob

Just the act of cooking, sleeping in a confined room, showering, drying the odd article of clothing on a radiator, it just all seems to add up; We'll probably end up going down the humidifier route ..maybe Black Friday will throw up some deals.

We initially purchased the bags to alleviate a few damp issues and the odd corners of wallpaper coming away around the windows. They do work, but realize a dehumidifier will improve our overall air quality .. so win win.
Air is a very complicated subject and many factors have to be taken into account. I've been designing HVAC systems in commercial building for around 40 years.
If you have a high level of insulation in any building you need to introduce fresh air for ventilation.
The main problem with ambient air in winter UK is that it's cold and very damp.
An A/C plant in a large office or public building would deal with that by mixing it with recirculated air, filtering it, heating or cooling the mixed air to obtain a room condition of 22C (dry bulb) & 50% relative humidity for human comfort.
Houses of course don't have A/C plants so you have to consider what you do.

Remember though that when you heat air, you effectively lower the RH% and lower the risk of condensation on walls/surfaces, so heating has a good effect on decreasing condensation. Bear in mind though that if your house is very well insulated and you heat the air you have to allow some ventilation, which unfortunately involves bringing in some of that cold damp UK winter air, (through things like trickle vents) which is absolutely required for health reasons.
If your house is not well insulated then air will naturally come in.
Bear in mind that the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineering recommendation is 0.35 air changes per hour.

Then again if you like a cold house you could look at a de-humidifier to lessen the RH% and therefore the likelihood on condensation and mould.

Ambient air in a UK winter is cold and damp (very high humidity) so it is difficult to deal with in a home.

Just bought six of these to see how the Humidity and temperatures of each room fare under differing conditions. I'll run a 48 hour experiment and if required will buy into a dehumidifier.

I have one in mind that also combines as a Hepa filter to cleanse and purify our air. The Meaco Dry Arete One 25 Litre looks like it has legs, but hopefully not required with our ventilation endevours and new Calcium Chloride bags.

CBJNG5K.jpg

The Kitchens running at 69 humidity with bedrooms 63 humidity but currently stable : /

Last edited:
As an aside, lots of owners say their dehumidifier really helps when they dry their clothes indoors. Doesn't that sort of negate the whole point of removing water from the air in the first instance.

Hey .. lets dry our clothes on the radiators and then fill the air with lots and lots of damp, then we can collect it all back up again with our new super dooper moisture removing machine. Like wtf?

If we go to machine format, then we'll use our tumble dyer in conjunction with the dehumidifier. That might work.

Just bought six of these bad boys to see how the Humidity and temperature of each room fare under differing conditions. I'll run a 48 hour experiment and if required will buy into a dehumidifier.

I have one in mind that also combines as a Hepa filter to cleanse and purify our air. The Meaco Dry Arete One 25 Litre looks like it has legs, but hopefully not required with our ventilation endevours and new Calcium Chloride bags.

CBJNG5K.jpg

The Kitchens running at 69 humidity with bedrooms 63 humidity but currently stable : /
Bloody hell mate. Are you trying to recreate the conditions behind enemy lines in Burma?
Our place is set at 19.5c

Bloody hell mate. Are you trying to recreate the conditions behind enemy lines in Burma?
Our place is set at 19.5c
An experiment to see what effect higher temperatures have on residual humidity levels within the home. It did drop off from 54c RH down to 51c, so heat does affect humidity as Mr Walker explained.

An experiment to see what effect higher temperatures have on residual humidity levels within the home. It did drop off from 54c RH down to 51c, so heat does affect humidity as Mr Walker explained.
For sure it does. Air conditioning is great for getting rid of humidity but you can't use it in the winter.
P.S, I pictured you crawling around on your belly though all the bamboo and Japanese knotweed, with a big knife between your teeth.
I could do without the loincloth image though.

For sure it does. Air conditioning is great for getting rid of humidity but you can't use it in the winter.
P.S, I pictured you crawling around on your belly though all the bamboo and Japanese knotweed, with a big knife between your teeth.
I could do without the loincloth image though.
I’d like to see loincloth pics please Bob

Just bought six of these bad boys to see how the Humidity and temperature of each room fare under differing conditions. I'll run a 48 hour experiment and if required will buy into a dehumidifier.

I have one in mind that also combines as a Hepa filter to cleanse and purify our air. The Meaco Dry Arete One 25 Litre looks like it has legs, but hopefully not required with our ventilation endevours and new Calcium
They're not very accurate for humidity Bob, you need a sling psychrometer for accurate measurement.

Sure you can, in heating mode.

When you heat air the RH goes down.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.