Inter (H) | CL | Post Match Thread

A well earned point for both teams and will not define the CL campaign in any way. Will give Pep food for thought if we face them again later in the competition as they have only one way to play against a team like us. Passing through them isn’t going to happen.

This was the single most important takeaway, for me. It just wasn't going to happen through the middle. Sorry, but a team like that, you have to have wingers with pace who can go outside their man as well as inside. At least sometimes. And then cut back from the by-line. With a team like that, that's the way you're going to create chaos.
Now I don't want to get on Jack's case, as so many have for the umpteenth time, but whatever Jack gives the team on the wing, he does not give that. I mean, he has very little change of pace, and he almost never goes outside his man. I still, to this day, wonder whether wing is really his position. I could see him more central. Except that it's pretty crowded with candidates there.

A well earned point for both teams and will not define the CL campaign in any way. Will give Pep food for thought if we face them again later in the competition as they have only one way to play against a team like us. Passing through them isn’t going to happen.

Happened a good few times last night.

The Foden chance immediately springs to mind.

This was the single most important takeaway, for me. It just wasn't going to happen through the middle. Sorry, but a team like that, you have to have wingers with pace who can go outside their man as well as inside. At least sometimes. And then cut back from the by-line. With a team like that, that's the way you're going to create chaos.
Now I don't want to get on Jack's case, as so many have for the umpteenth time, but whatever Jack gives the team on the wing, he does not give that. I mean, he has very little change of pace, and he almost never goes outside his man. I still, to this day, wonder whether wing is really his position. I could see him more central. Except that it's pretty crowded with candidates there.
If you can't have quick wingers then you need overlapping full-backs. Jack is great when someone runs on the outside of him as this creates both a passing option and distraction for opposition defences.

I thought we actually finished the game really well and had Inter penned in. They are one of Europe's top six teams and they are evidently well-coached. Foden looked a lot sharper than I thought he would, Rodri encapsulated his City career as the match progressed by getting stronger and better, and Gundogan is starting to get into those tight spaces.

From everything I've seen thus far this season, it's just been normal early-season City under Pep - some great football, some rust and big scope for improvement. We will be fine. Arsenal's squad will be tested this year and I'm convinced that Liverpool will burn out given how they are playing under Slot.

I think we played fine in the end.

Four clear chances that should be goals, Bernardo first half and then Foden & Gundogan second.

Foden is definitely the man against banked defences that limit space like Inter & Brentford did. He was causing a lot more disruption by carrying the ball and operating in extremely tight areas - Savio can get on the inside but has given the ball away in daft areas a few times now. I'm sure he'll learn though.

Always feel like these games require patience - we have to attack in the right way, which is really forcing a team to concentrate for 2-3 minutes. Early in the first half it was all too rushed and speculative, which gave Inter numerous chances to break at speed.

Finally, that new kit is atrocious and there's no way it was 'best selling' - if we're at home we have to wear our home kit. It hurt my soul to finally see a Milan team at the Etihad in the CL and we wore that abomination.

It being us back to earth, which maybe we needed. I was surprised how well we started the season and then you get a bit carried away and think things will continue that way, but it shows you are never far from a poor result in football.

We are being carved open too easily due to the press not being quite right. Arsenal will carry more of a threat so a wake up call.
Yes, I agree. The effortless way they last night and Brentford first half strolled through our midfield was quite disturbing.

Yes, I agree. The effortless way they last night and Brentford first half strolled through our midfield was quite disturbing.
This was what struck me. We gained control in the last 30 mins of both games, but similarly i felt we were outplayed for 50 of the first 60 mins.

Our reluctance to counter attack at almost any point is source of frustration and that frustration usually subsides as we pick up trophies - but we had a chance to do that with 5 mins to go last night and eddie just kept the ball - but the moment you let this lot have a back 5 and 3 in front it makes it so much harder.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.