Internal Damp

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Rather than going around in circles.

I need to get the chimney checked out.

Should I still remove the skirting board along the wall? The plaster is shot anyway, so the wall will need replastering. There isn’t much point in replastering over the shot plaster is there? That will have to come off, won’t it?
We had the same problem around our chimney breast. The damp in the corner of the living room . Very similar to your problem although I'm in a council house, mate, so they do it for me....eventually. As the council were working on the chimneys in the area, repointing and all that, the source of the problem was fixed. They've re-plastered, but i've still noticed some damp around the skirting boards. Maybe they rushed it and should have done further checks. Too late now, I've decorated.

Reactions: jrb

Should I still remove the skirting board along the wall? The plaster is shot anyway, so the wall will need replastering. There isn’t much point in replastering over the shot plaster is there? That will have to come off, won’t it?
Replaster with sand and cement render with water proofer.
And use renovating plaster

might as well, if (and it's a big if) the missus will be happy looking at an unplastered wall with no skirting until you've found the true issue. It gives you the chance to assess the wall behind the plaster/skirting then. There's also a chance it's slow pipe leak as well (not sure where the radiators/bathroom/toilet is) rather than the chimney (prime suspect). You have to cross each bridge one at a time. I hate things like as it's very frustrating finding out if things have worked or not.

Reactions: jrb
I’ll take the skirting board off over the weekend and post some pictures of what, if anything, is behind it. I might even take board off that’s covering up the chimney vent where the old gas fire used to be.

Take the vent off, put a smoke bomb in and get your mate with the drone videoing where the smoke is escaping.

I’ll take the skirting board off over the weekend and post some pictures of what, if anything, is behind it. I might even take board off that’s covering up the chimney vent where the old gas fire used to be.

I did this on a first floor flat I lived in once, ended up with 2 mice coming in so don't leave it open for long haha.

I did this on a first floor flat I lived in once, ended up with 2 mice coming in so don't leave it open for long haha.

At least it might air the wall? I’m interested to see if there’s any moisture and damp at all along the bottom of the wall, or anything thing the obviously points to where the moisture and damp are coming from. The plaster is going to come off, especially the damp plaster, so that should reveal a bit more. At least that way when I get somebody in to have a look at the problem they might be able to see what’s going on.

I bet you lot can’t wait for the pictures. ;-) Lol!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.