Internal Damp

By capping the chimney you've removed the ability of the house to breathe.

Apparently there's nothing wrong with capping the chimney if the chimney is no longer in use. Just Googled it. Capping a chimney stops the right from falling down into the chimney. The chimney still has to be vented, so he should have used a vented chimney cap/cowl. My neighbour has a drone, so I'm going to ask him to have a look at how the chimney has been capped. If the chimney cap looks ok I'll take the skirting board off as it's slightly rotten in places and the plaster is coming away anyway. Once the skirting board is off I can then get somebody in to have a look at the damp, including the chimney space, which is behind a wooden board, which has been plastered.

Apparently there's nothing wrong with capping the chimney if the chimney is no longer in use. Just Googled it. Capping a chimney stops the right from falling down into the chimney. The chimney still has to be vented, so he should have used a vented chimney cap/cowl. My neighbour has a drone, so I'm going to ask him to have a look at how the chimney has been capped. If the chimney cap looks ok I'll take the skirting board off as it's slightly rotten in places and the plaster is coming away anyway. Once the skirting board is off I can then get somebody in to have a look at the damp, including the chimney space, which is behind a wooden board, which has been plastered.
chimney is only as good as its flashing to the roof. If its not in use, better to have the stack taken off above roof height.

chimney is only as good as its flashing to the roof. If its not in use, better to have the stack taken off above roof height.

Thanks.

I'll start will the least expensive option first, a replaster and a piece of new skirting board. If that doesn't show up anything I'll get somebody to inspect the chimney and the flashing. Hopefully i can find somebody honest and I don't get ripped off for work that doesn't need doing. It's impossible to know if work really needs doing or not unless I go up on the roof myself, which I can't do.

Last edited:
Right thing to do. Invariably internal damp is due to lack of ventilation.

Right thing to do. Invariably internal damp is due to lack of ventilation.

Just on that point. Why isn't the open vent in the wall creating enough ventilation? Or could that be the reason for the damp, as the vent is always open, and the living room pretty much hasn't been heated this winter?

By capping the chimney you've removed the ability of the house to breathe.
Not if it’s a proper cowl. I had damp from a chimney after the fire was removed. A cowl did the trick, stopped rain coming in but preserved breathing. A flattish pot with vents round the vertical edges.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.