Internet Scams

mackenzie

Just thought I'd post this because someone I know experienced something recently.

She had seen a FB post about a lotion that helps with arthritis. She googled the company, saw the TrustPilot reviews, and they had good reviews so she ordered.

A week or so later she was at work and received a phone call, telling her the order was delayed because of a shortage in the cost of delivery. And they needed her bank details.
At this point my scam radar would have been off the ceiling, but the clever thing is that they quoted what she had ordered.

Needless to say, she then trusted that they were who they said they were....Evri.

Within 24 hours they wiped out her bank account.

So, in the immortal words of Hill Street Blues...be careful out there

Just thought I'd post this because someone I know experienced something recently.

She had seen a FB post about a lotion that helps with arthritis. She googled the company, saw the TrustPilot reviews, and they had good reviews so she ordered.

A week or so later she was at work and received a phone call, telling her the order was delayed because of a shortage in the cost of delivery. And they needed her bank details.
At this point my scam radar would have been off the ceiling, but the clever thing is that they quoted what she had ordered.

Needless to say, she then trusted that they were who they said they were....Evri.

I observe a scorched earth policy and the only things related to payment I have on my phone is google wallet (Not connected to any credit card) and trainline which I buy from home on a PC.

I assume I win nothing unless I have entered a competition so wont reply to anyone claiming I have.

I would never buy anything off Facebook
Seconded.

One laptop for sale. Three messages and two were scammers. One wanted to transfer the money through some third party service instead of BACS as he was “out of the country” allowing his cousin to come and collect it. The other contradicted himself about three times before I blocked him.

I ended up having to go to Bootle in Liverpool as the buyer was from Southport and unwilling to drive to the Wirral. I needed to bank the cash so I was happy enough to but never again.

I think the question is....how did they know what she had ordered? The company, regardless of what you suspect with the actual product, is "reputable"

I think the question is....how did they know what she had ordered? The company, regardless of what you suspect with the actual product, is "reputable"
Not saying she has but people will often comment on the post saying they have bought it and look forward to trying etc

As soon as I'd hear that bit about wanting bank details, I'd hang up. You get lots of suspicious phone calls and texts these days. Mainly from Africa and Asia. I just ignore them.

As soon as I'd hear that bit about wanting bank details, I'd hang up. You get lots of suspicious phone calls and texts these days. Mainly from Africa and Asia. I just ignore them.
I agree, and I'd be the same, but it was the fact they knew what the ordered items were that threw her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.