Investigation in Liverpool's 'hacking' of our computer systems

S
Why not use a password manager that generates passwords and stores them encrypted safely, synchronising between devices this can be unlocked on a mobile using biometrics All my passwords are done this was at least 20 characters mixed I’m not getting hacked
Send your CV to mcfc.co.uk

Well in that case, the banks may as well leave all the money in the branch on the counter, and you can take the money you need, but make sure you leave a note to say which account you want to take it out of. Yes, i know it is still a crime FFS, but people and companies take preventative measures to lessen the risk of being a victim. A crime can be committed that leaves questions regarding the victims actions.
It may well do but if an employee leaves a company, joins a rival and then accesses their ex-employer's data on hundreds of occasions over an extended period that is fraud, and it's a criminal offence.

We know the allegations but we do not know what the evidence suggests but it's obvious that a formal enquiry is required so that the game's regulators can establish the facts of the case. If Liverpool are found to have accessed Manchester City's data, I would expect them to be expelled from the Premier League. If City's data has been unlawfully accessed, weak safeguards are not a defence.

I've worked in IT long enough to know how lax computer security can be and how third party system licencing models encourage user/password sharing as a cost saving exercise, what's your background?

I'm saying the passwords could have been shared before the culprits announced their intention to leave, could have been happening for years, but as you say, nobody really knows, so neither can anyone say the logins were stolen, initially.

I think we are at cross purposes. I’m not sure it’s important how the passwords were acquired. The law would look at when and how they were used and to what end. The two employees at Liverpool - if they did login to the City’s Scout7 account- will have done so in the full knowledge that their actions were illegal. If they did acquire the info. previously as City employees it will not be a defence against their actions. Yes they had the knowledge but it’s the intent - the act of logging in that’s the criminal offence.

Ive read some Shit in my time,
But you two jokers putting the blame on city takes the cake.
I'm not putting the blame on City but if you leave your car open with the keys in the ignition it's partly your fault if it gets stolen. If it's as cut and dried as two employees accessing data they shouldn't have and then 2 ex-employees accessing data they really shouldn't have then it would be an open and shut case.

Sorry but if you can’t see that it’s illegal to take something - however you acquire it - and use it for illicit purposes for 6 months then you need to reset your moral compass. Whatever the IT regime at City - using a login as a former employee to the benefit of a new employer ( a competitor) is illegal and knowingly breaking the law.

Christ, I have said Liverpool should be punished, so that would suggest my moral compass is fine. I am merely stating that questions are asked when a crime is committed. Have a companies procedures to prevent such things been followed, if not, why not? If a till operator walked away from their till, leaving it open, and someone decides to take all the money, then they are going to have to explain why that happened, and possibly would lose their job.

I've worked in IT long enough to know how lax computer security can be and how third party system licencing models encourage user/password sharing as a cost saving exercise, what's your background?

I'm saying the passwords could have been shared before the culprits announced their intention to leave, could have been happening for years, but as you say, nobody really knows, so neither can anyone say the logins were stolen, initially.
It actually doesn't matter if the passwords were stolen or not. The person/persons who used them during the times the system was accessed was/were NOT AUTHORISED to do so by the club.

Christ, I have said Liverpool should be punished, so that would suggest my moral compass is fine. I am merely stating that questions are asked when a crime is committed. Have a companies procedures to prevent such things been followed, if not, why not? If a till operator walked away from their till, leaving it open, and someone decides to take all the money, then they are going to have to explain why that happened, and possibly would lose their job.

But it’s doesn't lessen the crime or the punishment of the perpetrators

The till drawer wasn't open though
A key to the drawer was "obtained " and the thief kept returning to steal

Last edited:
I think we are at cross purposes. I’m not sure it’s important how the passwords were acquired. The law would look at when and how they were used and to what end. The two employees at Liverpool - if they did login to the City’s Scout7 account- will have done so in the full knowledge that their actions were illegal. If they did acquire the info. previously as City employees it will not be a defence against their actions. Yes they had the knowledge but it’s the intent - the act of logging in that’s the criminal offence.
The way the passwords were acquired are key to it, in my opinion. Yes, there's a subsequent definite criminal act when they become ex employees and continue to access the system but were they fully aware of this? Non-technically minded football scouts? They may have thought it was underhand, but illegal - maybe not. When I worked in the banking sector and handled sensitive data, I underwent 50 security courses in one year and had to sign this, that and the other to show I knew my responsibilities. I'm guessing this sort of thing didn't and maybe still doesn't happen at football clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.