ipad

Dad? Is that you?

Seriously though, I'll try and break this down as much as possible for you because I know how difficult it can be to get your head round the jargon.

There are two main ways of accessing the internet on an iPad/Laptop/Mobile device:

1. The same way your phone accesses the phone network, via a SIM card (or sometimes in the case of laptops a 'dongle' is used, which does pretty much the same thing but isn't available for iPads). So you pay the mobile company a monthly contractual fee for a certain amount of internet usage per month. This, for most people, will be enough to cover downloads and web access. When you go to purchase your iPad you will be offered the option to buy one of these SIM cards with varying amounts of internet usage. The downside to this method is that signal can be unreliable and patchy, in the same way your phone signal can be. Another downside is that, although it's enough for most people, your internet usage is still limited and so if you go over that usage you can potentially be charged extra.

2. Through a wireless router in your home (or in a business property). This is the most regular, reliable and affordable way of accessing the internet. Packages vary from about £15 a month and up and there are hundreds of companies offering them, known as ISPs (internet service providers). The most common ones are from Virgin, Sky and BT. The wireless router is easy enough to set up yourself through the phone line, and you're given a password so that only your own devices can access your internet hub. Note as well that this is an entirely separate transaction from buying the iPad. It's a bit like paying for your landline, and then buying a house phone to use.

Apple will assume that you have some form of access to the internet already in order to get the most from the product they're offering (although as I say, they will offer the mobile internet when you buy an iPad). Don't buy an iPad expecting to be able to access somebody else's internet service though, the vast majority are password protected these days.

Just treated myself to a new iPad and it really is the bees knees, so much faster and easier to use than my ancient PC. Only problem so far is the picture quality from watching highlights etc from the official MCFC website which is very poor. Is this a general problem associated with the absence of "flash" on the iPad with no way round it?

Sorry if this question has been asked before!

you should've got a Galaxy Tab

Android_Apple.jpg

In response to glenowen above .... It seems to me that the poor picture quality is a feature of the City web site and nothing else .... I use Skygo to watch matches and over two hours continuous watching there is not one pause let alone a stop or freeze and the picture quality excellent .... Same goes for bbc iplayer watching hour long programmes it is flawless .... Yet watching City highlights these is always a pause or freeze ... So I think it's down to mcfc to add doe more oomph to their servers .... The content of mcfc site is fantastic of course ....!!!!!!!!

Just got an iPad. But also unsure about the costs of using ISP's. Been told 3G sim is better than others. Something along the lines of £8 p/m. Or £15 unlimited.

portisheadblue said:
In response to glenowen above .... It seems to me that the poor picture quality is a feature of the City web site and nothing else .... I use Skygo to watch matches and over two hours continuous watching there is not one pause let alone a stop or freeze and the picture quality excellent .... Same goes for bbc iplayer watching hour long programmes it is flawless .... Yet watching City highlights these is always a pause or freeze ... So I think it's down to mcfc to add doe more oomph to their servers .... The content of mcfc site is fantastic of course ....!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your response, Portis. The problem I have is not so much the picture freezing but that it is really blurred. On all other websites, the picture is pin sharp. Hope City do as you suggest and improve their servers.

bluezi said:
Just got an iPad. But also unsure about the costs of using ISP's. Been told 3G sim is better than others. Something along the lines of £8 p/m. Or £15 unlimited.
Did you know you might be able to use your mobile phone as a wi-fi router? Mine works the iPad for ineternet connectionin the car, but it does use up your mobile media allowance. Fine for just browsing but not enough if you are watching TV etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.