Irish Current Affairs.

Well, we think up a question on a referendum ballot whereby the answer is No or No. But the meaning is you join the rest of us down South.
That way we get the DUP on board as well. They only like saying No.

It all in the wording. Might take a while, but we’ll think up something uniquely ambiguously Oirish.

What could possibly go wrong?

I've always found it interesting, how would a unified or re-unified Ireland work, what do people imagine it would be? In particularly what would the impact be for NI.

Would NI come under one capital, one flag, one education system, one set of internal and external laws and rules etc.

Every time someone suggests the notion, I wonder, what are they thinking and what is their percieved reality of that. It is a much bigger constitutional change, than basic independence from the union.

I've always found it interesting, how would a unified or re-unified Ireland work, what do people imagine it would be? In particularly what would the impact be for NI.

Would NI come under one capital, one flag, one education system, one set of internal and external laws and rules etc.

Every time someone suggests the notion, I wonder, what are they thinking and what is their percieved reality of that. It is a much bigger constitutional change, than basic independence from the union.
Believe me. I can’t wait for Sinn Fein to come around my door(which they never do) at election time.
You’re hitting the nail firmly on the head with some of those questions.
I’d like to know what exactly they (meaning us down South) are willing to do, for a United Ireland. What are they(meaning us) willing to give that would make it palatable for even the most moderate of unionists.

Because that is what we are looking at. A very different notion of an island of Ireland than the one supposedly lost and lamented for centuries.

The vast majority of Unionists in NI have no interest whatsoever in anything that can be described as a United Ireland. No matter what the concessions are in terms of flags, anthems etc. It just doesn't matter; they don't want it, and never will. And this island is too small to accommodate a million malcontents.

The only future for NI is as part of the UK, with maximum possible cooperation and good will towards their southern neighbours. Nothing else is feasible or desirable. There are two traditions on this island, and we have to live with it. All our efforts should be towards making both parts of the island as peaceful and prosperous as possible. There is no room for a United Ireland in that debate. None.

Reactions: ob

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.