Is Cook out of his league?

markprendy

Firstly we all know Cook was one of Nikes best marketing executives, but is he up to the job of dealing with highly complex huge football transfers?
Even though I agree that Milan are as crooked as they come and are amateurs at negotiating, I have to say Im suprised Cook was naive enough to think Kakas wages would not be brought up and discussed. Lets not forget this wasnt the first visit over there. They must have had a figure established already that they were willing to pay. So when Milan pushed to reveal Kakas wages, why not tell them the amount and then say this will be discussed fully further down the line, blah blah blah. Instead he has been quoted "We chose not to get into that and we didn’t make an offer to the player". It looks like Cook was ducking and diving when this subject was brought up. This must be why Milan said, "we thought they serious but they werent". Its possible Kakas father was trying to speed things up due to pressure from the fans, etc, but when Cook was asked again at the airport over the phone what they were prepared to pay, simply said, "that's not the way we wanted to conduct the talks and we would have to terminate the discussions there."
Did Cook cut his nose off to spite his face?
Was it a clash of egos?
Either way, Kaka WAS in our grasp and we chose to walk away. And therefore missed out on one of the best and most important days in Citys history!

I found this below from a website:

"It could be argued Cook got his strategy wrong, having also missed out on Ronaldinho last summer following an equally protracted courtship,

However, he said: "I look at myself. I look in the mirror and say 'is it us?'."

markprendy said:
Firstly we all know Cook was one of Nikes best marketing executives, but is he up to the job of dealing with highly complex huge football transfers?
Even though I agree that Milan are as crooked as they come and are amateurs at negotiating, I have to say Im suprised Cook was naive enough to think Kakas wages would not be brought up and discussed. Lets not forget this wasnt the first visit over there. They must have had a figure established already that they were willing to pay. So when Milan pushed to reveal Kakas wages, why not tell them the amount and then say this will be discussed fully further down the line, blah blah blah. Instead he has been quoted "We chose not to get into that and we didn’t make an offer to the player". It looks like Cook was ducking and diving when this subject was brought up. This must be why Milan said, "we thought they serious but they werent". Its possible Kakas father was trying to speed things up due to pressure from the fans, etc, but when Cook was asked again at the airport over the phone what they were prepared to pay, simply said, "that's not the way we wanted to conduct the talks and we would have to terminate the discussions there."
Did Cook cut his nose off to spite his face?
Was it a clash of egos?
Either way, Kaka WAS in our grasp and we chose to walk away. And therefore missed out on one of the best and most important days in Citys history!

I found this below from a website:

"It could be argued Cook got his strategy wrong, having also missed out on Ronaldinho last summer following an equally protracted courtship,

However, he said: "I look at myself. I look in the mirror and say 'is it us?'."
I was thinking the same to be honest. Should he have not adjusted his approach to negotiate at their level.

Still it is impossible to give them a figure on salary without first knowing what would happen with kaka's image rights.

I might have said yes yesterday. Not so sure now. I think he is a very determined man and probably our answer to the reviled Peter Kenyon, only not quite as obnoxious.

didn't he set up the jordan/nike air contracts and also the big nike/footballer contracts????

i would say if anything he was being contractural, which is what he's paid to do......he may know something we dont with regards to sponsorships and was trying to ensure there would be no conflict of interests between our (man city) future deals and his (kaka') existing deals

spot on business man for me and one to take city to another level

arguably he was too many leagues above the milan management.

to create the jordan brand and take it to where he did was amazing. probably didn't involve dealing with bent politicians trying to improve their public image.

He is a fucking world class businessman and I find it blasphemous that you would even mention that he did anything wrong. He was just wanting the money, wasn't even mentioning Kaka's future or anything.

Gary Cook = City Legend.

No dont think so at all.
I like Cook, think we should keep him in there.
I dont think anybody in Cooks position could have got Kaka from Milan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.