Is Gaël Clichy that good?

@BluePhil8

Since we have a thread for most of our other players.

So when we won the league, I thought he was the best left back in the Country.

This season though, he has been quite poor.

Can't cross as well as Kolarov, can't score like Kolarov, can't take set pieces like Kolarov.

The argument used to be that Clichy was better defensively, but I just don't see that as being the case anymore. Kolarov looks solid going back and Clichy looked all at sea when West Ham were crossing today. Once Kolarov came on they didn't really do anything down that wing.

So, how good is he? For me, Kolarov and Zabaleta are our first choice full backs.

Maybe he's just out of form? He was flawless for us in his first season and not bad last season in our league best defence. He can't do much going forward but defensively, when on form, is one of the best left-backs in the league.

Totally agree. Kolarov has got be first choice now. Clichy looked shaky all game defensively and ads nothing going forward

Agree with this - Kolarov been better than Clichy this season but neither of them the answer IMO. Would like us to sign Baines.

njmcfc1894 said:
So up to now we've vilified Hart/Garcia , are we moving onto Clichy?

they had 2 on 1 at times , he had no protection.

Not vilifying anyone. This is just a thread to discuss a specific player. It is ok to critisise someone.

Do you think he has played well this season?

The issue with Clichy is his hesitation to close down his man. He seems to go back into the box far too often rather then pushing them to the line. That and often choosing to pass back instead of going forwards.

But he is the best understudy left back in the league. Better than most teams first choice.

@BluePhil8 said:
njmcfc1894 said:
So up to now we've vilified Hart/Garcia , are we moving onto Clichy?

they had 2 on 1 at times , he had no protection.

Not vilifying anyone. This is just a thread to discuss a specific player. It is ok to critisise someone.

Do you think he has played well this season?
he's been injured a lot. I really like Clichy, he gets past people better than kolarov and he has started a lot of attacks with lung bursting runs with the ball out of defence which nobody else offers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.