Is Given the best backup keeper in the history of football?

Fulop's Reflex said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Peter Shilton was No2 to Gordon Banks at Leicester in the run up to the 1969 FA-Cup final....that would take some beating. As for Given being in the top 5 in the Premier League I just don't see it, he is a good pro and an outstanding No2 but no better than your Howard's Friedel's or Robinson's of this world.

I think it's a wrong analysis because at that time Peter Shilton was just a rookie and Gordon Banks was an established experienced keeper.
they sold Banks that summer, so he must have been pretty good!

Fulop's Reflex said:
Peter Shilton was No2 to Gordon Banks at Leicester in the run up to the 1969 FA-Cup final....that would take some beating. As for Given being in the top 5 in the Premier League I just don't see it, he is a good pro and an outstanding No2 but no better than your Howard's Friedel's or Robinson's of this world.

I think it's a wrong analysis because at that time Peter Shilton was just a rookie and Gordon Banks was an established experienced keeper.
they sold Banks that summer, so he must have been pretty good!

Check my previous post.

1_barry_conlon said:
Joe Corrigan was no.2 to Keith Macrae

-- Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:41 am --

Banks left Leicester in 67.

Sorry 1967..... Shilton replaced him

Look at Spain's keepers

Casillas
Reina
Valdes
De Gea

then look at England's

Hart

Fucking Robinson you've gotta be having a laugh, I can only think of three that I would have over Given.

Reina - Hart - Cech (van der sar if he hadn't retired)

He wont want to sit around on the bench for another season not getting a look in. He wants to be playing more than he is so for Given its a no brainer and he will look at trying to get a move away. Also for City and the new money rules coming in Given is a player who we will be able to demand decent money for him and get his wage off the pay bill.

Could well be.

I don't blame him if he wants off, he want's first team football and he's too good to be sat on the bench.

Unfortunately for him, Hart came into good form and had the a stonking season at Brum.

£800,000 wasn't it?

feels like 18 million.

Freestyler said:
Could well be.

I don't blame him if he wants off, he want's first team football and he's too good to be sat on the bench.

Unfortunately for him, Hart came into good form and had the a stonking season at Brum.

£800,000 wasn't it?

feels like 18 million.

I think Shay knew half way through the season that his time here was up. When Joe went into his dodgy spell and Mancini stuck with him I think that was Shay pissed off big time. Not getting a run out in the Europa League when he was supposed to playing in those early games because Joe messed up and instead of dropping Joe he gave him the Europa game. I think that alone has got to Shay a bit. I wonder if Mancini has even let him know of his plans for next season if he will be given a chance to get some football or not.

leighton said:
Freestyler said:
Could well be.

£800,000 wasn't it?

feels like 18 million.

I think Shay knew half way through the season that his time here was up. When Joe went into his dodgy spell and Mancini stuck with him I think that was Shay pissed off big time. Not getting a run out in the Europa League when he was supposed to playing in those early games because Joe messed up and instead of dropping Joe he gave him the Europa game. I think that alone has got to Shay a bit. I wonder if Mancini has even let him know of his plans for next season if he will be given a chance to get some football or not.
Didn't Given get injured right in the middle of Hart's poor run in Jan and was out for all the knockout games in the Europa League?

I dunno, "in the history of football" is a pretty sweeping statement!

At the moment in world football, he must be up there yeah. Another one might be Boruc at Fiorentina. Manninger at Juve is still a very good keeper also. An in form Chris Kirkland as well? I suppose if he was in form, he wouldn't be on the bench.

But I'd take Given over all of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.