Is it a case of the old and new fans? (slightly lengthy)

Skashion said:
Yes, younger fans know nothing and have never been through the pain of being shit.

How can you say that when Younger fans (Post 99) have never even been to wembley, and lived in the shadow, going to school like jimmy Fucking Grimble every week.
My Lad has had shit for being City for years but stuck by it. Because thats what we do.

I am an american so this is completly unbiased,so it's not that i hate Landycakes, I just like Adam Johnson better!
Oh wait....i really do'nt like 'em

The thing with City is, in my life we have always been completely irresponsible when it comes to signings..always trying to but our way to instant success. So the fans that are crying out for top names, instead of everage ones are just the same as every other City fan over the past 30 years.

Remember how giddy we got in the early 80's..a sniff of having a decent team, and we went and threw money at the likes of Steve Daly and Trevor Francis..money we didn't have. Spin on a few years, after that had failed, and we were again chucking 2 million or whatever it was at Lee Bradbury, then George Weah...there have been loads of other supposed marquee signings. Even recently Keegan comes in and blows a load of cash, post Bernstein on over the hill "big names".

The difference now is we can do what we've always done, but now we can afford it, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

I'm 38 and have been a season ticket holder since 1978 and my 6 year old daughter received her first seasoncard today

I really don't care WHO we sign as long as Bobbi M thinks they are good enough and when i turn up and watch my beloved blues they look like they are pulling their tripes out and doing their very best

The difference is that with the players we have this year our best should be better than it's been for a long, long time......

Firstly let me just remark on how many people seem to be unable to read the sarcasm in Skashion's post, which is a shame.

Anyway, I honestly don't think that there's a single City fan out there that just wants to sign names. We all want to sign the best players in the world, who happen to be big names.

There seems to be a myth that this whole assumption of the Donovan argument is built upon, and that is that teams with just big name players need intermediate players in between to be able to gel. Has anyone got any proof of this, apart from the Galacticos? (where it could be argued that it was down to coaches more than gelling players)

I didn't get chance to get involved in the Donovan argument, but plain and simply, I don't want him. He's been pretty much a constant failure his whole career, and only does well as a big fish in a small pond. At every opportunity when in a team of good players, he's been shit. The only time he has ever done ok is at Everton, and even then it takes more than a ten game run of form at a club that was bouncing back on the rebound in a big way. I remain unconvinced that he's good enough for the Premiership, let alone the top four.

I've never met or seen any new fans!

Just because someone might have 100 posts on bluemoon doesn't mean they are new to supportig City! Home and away, on coaches, trains, met's, buses, walking to the ground, in all the pubs, everywhere, I see the same old faces all the time. Nit seen any of these so called 'new fans'!

And any new seasoncard holders I know of are mates and family
members who had seasoncards but got demoralised after Pearce's failure season, have always been City fans, in my uncles case hasn't been to City much since they ruined his life when they knocked the old Kippax down, or used to go for like 30years but stopped in about 2004 randomly (me Dads mate, don't think he liked the CoMS!). None if them are new fans!

Opinion has always been heated and divided between City fans, people now instead if just going with that, just presume that there are new fans who have the different opinions and outlooks!

The day I see some randoms singing the words wrong to Bluemoon, then I'll say "we have new fans!", until then I highly disagree that we have an influx of them!

DaveH said:
Skashion said:
Yes, younger fans know nothing and have never been through the pain of being shit.

How can you say that when Younger fans (Post 99) have never even been to wembley, and lived in the shadow, going to school like jimmy Fucking Grimble every week.
My Lad has had shit for being City for years but stuck by it. Because thats what we do.
You might want to try reading more than one post before responding. ;)

I'm not a new fan, though I'm sure the sign up date would suggest otherwise, :/
Anyway, I love to see big names at the club, its the sort of thing you dream about for years and now its happening. However, I wanna see signings like Adam Johnson and Jimmy Milner, players who are proven, young English talent who wanna play for City compared to the likes of Ozil, a good player who did ok during the World Cup but is very much like Aguero, an impact player who can missing.

blueshortshorts said:
The thing with City is, in my life we have always been completely irresponsible when it comes to signings..always trying to but our way to instant success. So the fans that are crying out for top names, instead of everage ones are just the same as every other City fan over the past 30 years.

Remember how giddy we got in the early 80's..a sniff of having a decent team, and we went and threw money at the likes of Steve Daly and Trevor Francis..money we didn't have. Spin on a few years, after that had failed, and we were again chucking 2 million or whatever it was at Lee Bradbury, then George Weah...there have been loads of other supposed marquee signings. Even recently Keegan comes in and blows a load of cash, post Bernstein on over the hill "big names".

The difference now is we can do what we've always done, but now we can afford it, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Good post. We have indeed thrown money around in the past but it has been wasted. Signings too often just to keep the fans happy rather than any sort of strategic progression through continual team building. No masterplan just ad-hoc 'marquee' signings too often based solely on reputation and sometimes to try and mask the damaging departure of other key players. Of course the fact that we have churned through so many managers has only exacerbated the problem as each manager tries to re-shuffle the deck to suit his own short-lived plans. As KK and Sven have proved throwing money at it does not in itself provide instant success or even strong team continuity. So yes we now have even more money to lay stronger foundations for that continuity and lets hope we have some managerial stability to go with it at long last or we'll still see more of the same transfer churn and burn (albeit of a higher quality).

We do have new fans, or previous fans who stopped believing who have started to believe again.

The amount of City shirts i see now is unbelievable compared to say the Pearcey era.
Are these "New fans" ? well i'm seeing young and old wearing the shirts, who am I to say whether they are gloryseekers or not?
I don't even wear football shirts anymore....

Fans shouldn't be judged on the date they registered or how many posts they have, or the location of which they currently reside.
One or two lifelong blues I know currently reside in Iraq, they certainly are not gloryseekers, and have never registered on here.

I do expect this season - does this make me a gloryseeker? I suppose it does... but I was gloryseeking when I went watching city back in the late 80's as a 5yr old boy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.