Is it important to you to win the Champions League?

Is it important to you to win the Champions League?

• Yes

Votes: 206 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 99 32.5%

• Total voters
I think winning it is also important because it will unite the fans. You can see from this thread that there is a split amongst the fans and, whilst hardly acrimonious, it surely has to be better if we're all committed to wanting to win it. I genuinely think that winning it for a first time will go a long way towards bridging this divide.

I think winning it is also important because it will unite the fans. You can see from this thread that there is a split amongst the fans and, whilst hardly acrimonious, it surely has to be better if we're all committed to wanting to win it. I genuinely think that winning it for a first time will go a long way towards bridging this divide.

I don't think there is really a divide as such it's just that the older fans put more importance on the traditional trophies that we can win.

Fast forward 20 years and we are competing in the shiny European super league (Hell could be a world league by then) and the younger City fans may feel the same way about that as older fans now think of the CL, they may still feel that winning the CL is more important than the European or World super league.

As City fans we can at least agree that traditional trophies are the most important surely? Without tradition football is nothing more than a manufactured spectacle with no soul.

I don't think there is really a divide as such it's just that the older fans put more importance on the traditional trophies that we can win.

Fast forward 20 years and we are competing in the shiny European super league (Hell could be a world league by then) and the younger City fans may feel the same way about that as older fans now think of the CL, they may still feel that winning the CL is more important than the European or World super league.

As City fans we can at least agree that traditional trophies are the most important surely? Without tradition football is nothing more than a manufactured spectacle with no soul.
I'm not sure that this issue is one that can broadly be divided along generational lines but I can understand why people might think that this is the case. I know older City fans who are keen to win it and younger ones who are less keen.

When you say that we "can agree that traditional trophies are the most important" then I'm not sure. I would bet that most people would say that the league is most important and the biggest achievement, and you'd have a hard time arguing against it. But if you are talking about tradition, the European Cup was round five years before the League Cup. I cannot agree that the domestic cups are as important as the CL to either me or the club. The FA Cup is a grand old trophy but has been severely devalued by broadcasters, managers and administrators alike. It is no longer the great competition it once was and Cup Final day is just another day and another television fixture. The prize for winning it means little to the top clubs. The League Cup is a long-running joke that needs binning off. Attendances are pitiful and not even teams whose best chance of winning a trophy (Everton, Newcastle, etc). take it seriously.

I'd be quite happy for football to revert to how it was 70 years ago with a league, a cup, a World Cup, no League Cup and no European football, but I know that it would never happen. The reality is that the game has changed from what we grew up with and nobody cares whether or not we win the domestic cups, except for us. If we're being truthful, we feel the same. So when United won the FA Cup in 2016, few batted an eyelid but when Liverpool won the CL in 2019 we were disappointed.

I'm not sure that this issue is one that can broadly be divided along generational lines but I can understand why people might think that this is the case. I know older City fans who are keen to win it and younger ones who are less keen.

When you say that we "can agree that traditional trophies are the most important" then I'm not sure. I would bet that most people would say that the league is most important and the biggest achievement, and you'd have a hard time arguing against it. But if you are talking about tradition, the European Cup was round five years before the League Cup. I cannot agree that the domestic cups are as important as the CL to either me or the club. The FA Cup is a grand old trophy but has been severely devalued by broadcasters, managers and administrators alike. It is no longer the great competition it once was and Cup Final day is just another day and another television fixture. The prize for winning it means little to the top clubs. The League Cup is a long-running joke that needs binning off. Attendances are pitiful and not even teams whose best chance of winning a trophy (Everton, Newcastle, etc). take it seriously.

I'd be quite happy for football to revert to how it was 70 years ago with a league, a cup, a World Cup, no League Cup and no European football, but I know that it would never happen. The reality is that the game has changed from what we grew up with and nobody cares whether or not we win the domestic cups, except for us. If we're being truthful, we feel the same. So when United won the FA Cup in 2016, few batted an eyelid but when Liverpool won the CL in 2019 we were disappointed.

I don't see this competition as the European cup mate, it's an abomination that really is IMO the most corrupt sporting trophy in the history of football.

As for the "Nobody cares if we win domestic trophies" I'm not a City fan that wants to win something just because other certain fans of other clubs care that we have, I take your point though opinions are all acceptable we're not drones.

just like all the other things we win credit will be down to money. so the importance of winning is limited
i have always been bread and butter win the title and anything after that is just a bonus

'You're not a big club until...'

First it was winning back-to-back PL titles, and we did that and it wasn't enough. Then we have to win the Champions League.. and if we do you just know there will be a huge caveat placed on the achievement.

'You only won it because...'

'Not as good as (insert Red club here)'s achievement...'

'Still not a big club because...'

I want to win it more than anything else. I'm bored of doing the "league is more important" line. Even the luckiest fans will only ever see their team win the CL a handful of times, and I want to be one of them. I want to get pissed with my old man and a bunch of strangers in a European square, and end up in a club singing we are the champions. If I can't have that I want to be in a Manchester pub in a warm summer Saturday night before piling into the streets knowing we are the best team in Europe and no one can tell us otherwise. I even want the stupid star above the badge and the stupid numbered patch on the side, and I want the numbered patch to go up until we can say we've won it more than Chelsea, and then United, and then Liverpool.
Really couldn't have summed it up any better. What a feeling it would be to be Champions of Europe!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.