Is it important to you to win the Champions League?

Is it important to you to win the Champions League?

• Yes

Votes: 206 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 99 32.5%

• Total voters
I want us to win it as I do every competition we enter but I think winning the title is harder and for me I enjoy it more.

For the club and owners and just to get the monkey off our back, which is put there by the media really, I'd love us to win it. With our squad and manager we really should be doing so.

If we win it then happy days , if we don’t then that’s life , the league title will always be number one priority, didn’t think I’d ever have this conversation about City in the 80’s 90’s or 00’s :)

This is probably going to be a bit controversial but....here goes.... I don't go to watch City to win trophies, I go to watch City because I love football. The actual game of football, I support the team that I have supported for over 60 years but I also used to watch and referee school football and loved their games as well. Yes it is great to win a trophy but to me it is the football that is more important. The football and the club. Sorry.

This is probably going to be a bit controversial but....here goes.... I don't go to watch City to win trophies, I go to watch City because I love football. The actual game of football, I support the team that I have supported for over 60 years but I also used to watch and referee school football and loved their games as well. Yes it is great to win a trophy but to me it is the football that is more important. The football and the club. Sorry.
Booooo!!! Eccles Blue Out!!

:-)

This season will have been a wonder, regardless of what happens now. Dias and Cancelo, Foden's emergence. Stones is back?! Gundogan coming good on his promise of taking up the responsibility of being a senior player. We're a committed unit now. Everyone adds to the mix and helps each other. That is the hardest thing for a club with money to achieve. We thank Kompany, Zabaleta and Silva's for doing it first. And immediately following the final retirement of the holy trio, we can see the new ambassadors and guardians of the club emerge. It's the best type of story to follow as a supporter. And we now get to watch a mean defence as well as a glittering attack. Winning a trophy, no matter which, just can't compete. Winning is important. But it's only one of the important things, and we've already seen so many others delivered upon.

Absolutely correct. Great post.

It's clear that there is a world of difference between the thinking of fans immersed almost 24/7 in PLs/UEFAs 'modern' game and those of us who only had Saturday afternoons, the odd midweek and the Pink to influence us.

That may well be the case, but after we won the league in 2012 I really didn't care what anyone said about the legitimacy of our win or scale of our achievement. My worry now is that we are so conscious about what other people think and say about us that we occasionally forget why we are City fans and why we follow our club. 13 years ago we'd have merely been grateful to win any trophy for the experience of the joy of winning but now we apparently want to win things to shut people up or get one up on our rivals. A third of our fans here have said that the CL isn't important to them. I can't get why they wouldn't want to be partying with 20,000 blues until daybreak in a European city after lifting the trophy.

In many respects, the way we won the league in 2012 was our "Del and Rodney getting rich" moment. It was so great, so unique and so euphoric that nothing would ever touch it again. The thrill of the chase was over and nothing has really felt the same since. To my mind, the CL is the last chance to give me a new experience whilst following City. If you've followed the club for 30 years you've seen nearly everything. The CL is the last frontier. It's our biggest obstacle, stacked with adversaries along the way. To conquer it would be a fitting final chapter to the rise of our club.
Liked your post but I don't agree with your last sentence and hope you are wrong about it being the final chapter ;-)

I don't like the CL one bit. It's a money-making machine and most of the games are absolutely awful to watch. Bus-parking-on-steroids, diving, cheating, appalling officials, strange rules, shit VAR and weird decisions. The team who wins the PL is simply the best team that season, no question. The team who wins the CL has ridden their luck, dived, cheated and got lucky. So, forgive me if I don't get excited about it.

That said, it means a lot to the players, the staff, Pep and the owners. So, I'll get behind the team but in all honesty, if we never win it it won't bother me one bit.

I know United and Liverpool get giddy about it, but let's cut to the chase, slapping the best teams from Sweden, Belgium and Austria in the 60s and 70s and bragging about being the best is EXACTLY the same as someone from Huddersfield boasting they are up there with Spurs for PL titles. You can't even compare this CL to the ones in the 70s and 80s.

Liverpool go on about Europe but most of their trophies was filmed in black and white, lo-fi definition and the scruffy crowd was wearing flares, platforms and donkey jackets. Must have stunk like a zoo in their end.

Anyway, if we win it I'll still use it as an excuse to crack open more champers and piss the red neighbours off though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.