Is it time for City to move on from Kompany & Toure?

No both will have a big part to play this season......
Yaya will be integral to us from Jan/Feb onwards
Kompany when fit is first choice.
We have good back up when he isn't.

Agree with the OP.

Extending Toure's contract wouldn't have been my choice purely because half a good season doesn't make up for the two previous not bothering ones.

Put the savings towards a CB. Kompany needs to stop risking himself in meaningless International games. Save himself for the important ones. We certainly should be planning our future around him not being available.

Physios say that in sport the biggest predictor of injuries is previous injuries. Your body never fully recovers and things get thrown out of balance making injuries even more likely. He's been immense fighting back so often but I fear it is just a matter of time before he's out for a long period.

Stones and Otty are not what title winning defences are built on. I understand Kompany wants to play in the World Cup but I wish he'd retire from internationals.

Whatever happens though - he's been the greatest City CB since Dave Watson and we were lucky to have him all throug his best years.

I might draw some flak for this, but did anyone expect anything else? After all the drama around Toure over the last 2-3 years, I always thought that once he gets his contract extension he will fall back to the underwhelming self that he had been. I fully expect his Agent to start stirring and talking shit in the media again soon.

And Kompany... love the guy, but who did not see this coming? I know we tried to address the Center Back issue previously and brought in Otamendi, Mangala and Stones, but we haven't got a leader in the back like Kompany. This is why so many of us where absolute puzzled by the fact that we did not try to sign a Center Back in the last window (I am sorry I am not going to count Jonny fucking Evans as a viable alternative to Kompany). It was a matter of time before Kompany breaks down again.... and yet again while on International duty... yet again in a meaningless match against a shite team. Yet again he got a knock, yet decided to play the whole 90 and ended up being long term injured for us.

To answer your question, it has been HIGH TIME for the club to move on from Kompany and Toure... but like with our Fullbacks we seem to be too complacent and passive about it and now we are paying for it.

If Kompany does get fit for City, I am assuming he will not be playing in Belgium's remaining WC qualifiers.

We needed to move on from Yaya last season. If he doesn't get back to playing, we're gonna find ourselves pretty short.

Vinnie still has it in him, but he needs to retire from his national team

On the back of a clean sheet without him its easy to say, but how often do we sit here and say "imagine if Kompany had been fit" hes a class above and theres no way we can move him on until we get a suitable replacement (and even then hes worth keeping)

What has Toure done? Issue with Kompany seems clear, even if we don't know when he'll be back. Maybe Toure is just staying back so he can play a part in the Watford game? I would not have expected him to play at Feyenoord. I saw fans saying they'd play him against Liverpool but for me he can't play at that level now. He's a squad player who can do a job after CL away games and in the Cups. Maybe that's all we're seeing now? A realisation of his current role. He's not a 1st choice player.

On the back of a clean sheet without him its easy to say, but how often do we sit here and say "imagine if Kompany had been fit" hes a class above and theres no way we can move him on until we get a suitable replacement (and even then hes worth keeping)
first 20 mins defence was very shaky v Liverpool. Still essential for me. That sending off turned a game that could even at 1-0 have gone against us.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/pep-guardiola-yaya-toure-issue-13611179

It seems Pep's issues with Yaya have resurfaced again. I wondered why we hadn't seen Toure throughout pre-season, however the match he played against WHU started me thinking, & the above article confirmed my thoughts.

Against WHU, Toure looked like the Toure of 2015-16. He was slow, looked overweight & laboured in everything he did. After a difficult beginning to last season, Toure came in after the injury to Gundogan & proved such an asset that his contract was extended, but now it seems we're back to where we were with him 12 months ago.

Both he & Kompany are the epitome of the post Abu Dhabi era, but with Kompany seemingly pissing off the club again by getting injured in a meaningless International friendly, has the time now arrived for City to replace them both & move on with the Pep era?

This season was always likely to be Toure's last in any case, but I believe our years of reliance on them both & sentiment is holding us back from properly moving on.

FFP has also meant we had to keep some of our older players probably a season or 2 beyond their use by date, but I think the time has now come for us to cut them both adrift at the end of this season.

Only Aguero & Silva remain from the 2012 title winning team & they both have at least another 2 seasons in them imo, but sadly, I can't bring myself to say the same for Kompany & Toure.
Cake

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.