Is Joleon Lescott the Real Deal.

RobbieBrewer said:
When are some people going to get the fact that the price we paid for Lescott is rendered almost irrelevant?
If our entire yearly transfer budget was £30 million,then yes-paying what we did for Lescott would've been stupid.
But it's not,is it?

As it is-MH wanted the player,the player wanted to come-so we paid the asking price.

From what I've seen so far,Lescott's reading of the game and distribution is far better than Dunne,he's quicker than Distin and at 27 has not yet reached his peak as a centre half.
He's made a few mistakes-but none worse than Wio,"the best defender in the world" has been doing lately at the swamp.
As a team,we're three points off the top with a game in hand,and the more he plays Lescott will get better as he forges an understanding with the rest of the back four.
Give the lad time.

Me, personally, don't give two craps about the price tag. I mention it in relevance to Hughes' willingness to keep playing his buys through periods of shyteness to the detriment of the team.i.e., point losses. Not really a policy I thought any City fan would condone, but hey, its The Messiah, so it's ok.

"Lescott's reading of the game and distribution is far better than Dunne...", so Neds is not?

"...he's quicker than Distin", so Neds is not?

"...and at 27 has not yet reached his peak as a centre half", no fear at all, for Neds there then, who is practically equal to Lescott now!!

johnny crossan said:
black mamba said:
Well the first thing to say is don't judge a book by its cover ....... when Gary Pallister first joined the rags he could do little right , yet he ended up being an important 'mainstay' in their trophy winning side.

Having said that i didn't really rate Lescott whilst he was at Wolves , but he DID improve enough whilst at Everton to gain England recognition.

To me he isn't a centre-half , he's just not commanding enough ....... like Kompany i feel he's more effective when playing BESIDE one!

I reckon he was slow to react to Van persies goal at COMS and should have been quicker into his challenge , he would probably also say he should have done much better with at least two of the rags goals in the derby ..... he was probably also slow to react to Croatias headed goal against England at Wembley .

We defintely needed a commanding centre-back after 18 defeats last season , and i never at any time felt that Lescott had the height , or the staure to be that ........ i still don't , although he has made some effective challenges/interceptions for us ....... but i am prepared to hold my hands up should he turn out , like Pallister , to be the 'real deal' ....... only time will tell.

Pallister! What a benchmark, sure you don't mean Bruce?

Well i mention Pallister because a lot of people thought he was overated whilst at Middlesborough , and that Fergie had 'flipped his lid' when he signed him ..... he certainly didn't start well .

But alongside Bruce , Pallister found his best form and was instrumental in the rags success , he stayed for 9 seasons and played well over 300 games for them ....... Bruce had the tenacity and the leadership that a top defender requires , whilst Pallister was a bit more 'laid back' as a player and 'tidied up' things ...... just as Alan Hansen used to do at Liverpool.

Lescott has improved as a player since his days at Wolves , no doubt about that ....... but i still say he's not a commanding centre-half at present ........ like Bigga says will he ever be?

He could improve even further ..... we have to hope he does , and really settles down here.

the talk of whether he will be a "commanding centre half" is an interesting one, at Everton he often played alongside Jagielka who tended to be the more vocal of the too.

Here he is alongside Toure, who is more experienced. Hughes maybe persisted with his attempts to sign him for so long because he knew he could slot alongside the 'commanding' centre half and being left footed will compliment the defence to boot

This thread is only looking at why Joleon Lescott has made so many errors ..Based mainly in on his stature and lacking the mental believe he can push big forwards around and win headers with ease. I do not go along with most comments ..he needs time .We need him to block players ..head a ball to saftey...pass a ball to our midfield or wingers.Surely for £25 million plus that does not need much settling in...Or does it ????.

He is much slower than Distin for the record over distances from 2 yards to 100 yards plus ( timed ) .His reaction timings to the ball are the slowest of the defence. So make of that what you wish .???????????

let him be...... once he starts bagging goals... all will be forgotten. joleon is class!!!! we have a few tricky away games in the next while, i m sure he ll prove his worth (he has a world cup to attend to too!) lescott ALL THE WAY!

JUSTBLUE08 said:
This thread is only looking at why Joleon Lescott has made so many errors ..Based mainly in on his stature and lacking the mental believe he can push big forwards around and win headers with ease. I do not go along with most comments ..he needs time .We need him to block players ..head a ball to saftey...pass a ball to our midfield or wingers.Surely for £25 million plus that does not need much settling in...Or does it ????.

He is much slower than Distin for the record over distances from 2 yards to 100 yards plus ( timed ) .His reaction timings to the ball are the slowest of the defence. So make of that what you wish .???????????

Stay away from Opta and believe the evidence of your own eyes

JUSTBLUE08 said:
Mark Hughes has bought very well considering we were a mid table club with pots of money.The only Player who seems not to have performed to his previous level is Joleon.
Have we wasted £20 million????
2ntha2w.jpg

Bit early to tell after a few games mate

Bigga said:
RobbieBrewer said:
When are some people going to get the fact that the price we paid for Lescott is rendered almost irrelevant?
If our entire yearly transfer budget was £30 million,then yes-paying what we did for Lescott would've been stupid.
But it's not,is it?

As it is-MH wanted the player,the player wanted to come-so we paid the asking price.

From what I've seen so far,Lescott's reading of the game and distribution is far better than Dunne,he's quicker than Distin and at 27 has not yet reached his peak as a centre half.
He's made a few mistakes-but none worse than Wio,"the best defender in the world" has been doing lately at the swamp.
As a team,we're three points off the top with a game in hand,and the more he plays Lescott will get better as he forges an understanding with the rest of the back four.
Give the lad time.

Me, personally, don't give two craps about the price tag. I mention it in relevance to Hughes' willingness to keep playing his buys through periods of shyteness to the detriment of the team.i.e., point losses. Not really a policy I thought any City fan would condone, but hey, its The Messiah, so it's ok.

"Lescott's reading of the game and distribution is far better than Dunne...", so Neds is not?

"...he's quicker than Distin", so Neds is not?

"...and at 27 has not yet reached his peak as a centre half", no fear at all, for Neds there then, who is practically equal to Lescott now!!
We have lost one game all season, and Lescott's form can hardly be described as "shyte".

Ned is injured at the moment, and at 6 foot his preferable partner would be Lescott.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.