Is left back really a problem?

Mendy is just not able to play against the better sides. He has no pace, lacks confidence on the ball and is a pretty poor defensive reader. He is a liability at this level. That injury robbed him of his pace which was his main asset. I genuinely feel for him. He’s constantly trying to play the way he used to but his body keeps letting him down.

Digne 2018, Tierney 2019, Chilwell 2019 (according to Sam Lee/The athletic City wanted to sign Chilwell after Mendys 2nd injury but scrapped it when Kompany decided to leave, and tried to sign a CB instead = Maguire who we didnt get). Other options: Gaya, Telles, Reguilon, Theo Hernandez, Grimaldo,Tagliafico, Renan Lodi. Anyone of them would be a huge upgrade on Mendy, most of them better than Zinchenko too. (I like Zinchenko, he is fine as a 2nd choice LB, but we need a proper reliable LB like Walker is for us at RB).
I dunno mate, I think a lot of them would struggle in a Pep team.

Not that it’s any justification for Mendy, he’s utterly dreadful.

Mendy is just not able to play against the better sides. He has no pace, lacks confidence on the ball and is a pretty poor defensive reader. He is a liability at this level. That injury robbed him of his pace which was his main asset. I genuinely feel for him. He’s constantly trying to play the way he used to but his body keeps letting him down.
It’s not his body that’s failing him, it’s a lack of footballing intelligence at this level. He knows he’s not supposed to dribble into traffic or take the risky pass when the easier ball is on, yet he continues to make poor choices. Those in turn put the team under unnecessary pressure.

its been a problem since Mendy signed....and it still is.

I cannot believe there isnt a left back in the under 23's that isnt better than mendy.....there are players on the sunday parks that are better fullbacks defensively than this guy....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.