Is left back really a problem?

Mendy is awful. Full stop. The first job of a left back is to defend. He gets rinsed every time against decent players. He offers nothing offensively. Kolorov was the best left back we had recently. Mendy walking with the ball antics today was immature and for that alone he should be bombed out the starting 11.

Kolarov was very good and clichy. Mendy is dreadful.. Look at the first half where he turned into trouble despite knowing he was being pressed.

I'm not a fan of pairing him with Ake who seems to make a mistake every game too.

Definitely a position that needs addressing but won't

Kolarov was very good and clichy. Mendy is dreadful.. Look at the first half where he turned into trouble despite knowing he was being pressed.

I'm not a fan of pairing him with Ake who seems to make a mistake every game too.

Definitely a position that needs addressing but won't
The Ake / Mendy partnership is a big step backwards for us ….both are suspect and feed each other’s insecurity. Surely Pep knows this ?

I think it also shows a lack of really good left back options tbf, how many has there been that you think we should have gone for?
Digne 2018, Tierney 2019, Chilwell 2019 (according to Sam Lee/The athletic City wanted to sign Chilwell after Mendys 2nd injury but scrapped it when Kompany decided to leave, and tried to sign a CB instead = Maguire who we didnt get). Other options: Gaya, Telles, Reguilon, Theo Hernandez, Grimaldo,Tagliafico, Renan Lodi. Anyone of them would be a huge upgrade on Mendy, most of them better than Zinchenko too. (I like Zinchenko, he is fine as a 2nd choice LB, but we need a proper reliable LB like Walker is for us at RB).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.