Is left back really a problem?

We needed a left back 2 and half years ago and we are still here struggling . We could have signed the lad that went to spurs and also we could make arsenal an offer for tierney who is class . Stones and mendy are not good enough for us .
Spurs only got Reguilon because they agreed to having a buyback clause. Do you want to be at the mercy of Real like that?

I don’t like cancelo at LB. it’s square pegs in round holes. I like mendy but he seems to be incapable of cutting out lapses of concentration out of his game (there was a flick through his legs last night when he nearly gave it away). I can forgive not keeping up with traore, you can’t keep them out every time.

cant see us signing a LB this window and it will give mendy a chance to have a run(which tbf he hasn’t really had).

I can see ake being selected at LB often in bigger games when Laporte is back fit as a more “solid” option.

It's a long shot but one can dream

It is an area of weakness and in an ideal world we would get another player to compete and or take mendys place. Rebuilding takes time and if the choice is lb or cb I wld take cb as it is more of a concern. I wld play ake as lb when Laporte is back. Attack wld suffer but defence wld be a lot more stable.

Hope we bring in Tagliafico from Ajax. He is the starting left back for Argentina and a quality player imo. Then together with Ake we have two options at left back who is defensively reliable. Mendy then plays mostly against weaker sides and can focus on his attacking play. Zinchenko is not a long term solution, Cancelo is a right back and should only play right back to rotate with Walker as its a demanding role with so many games. If we cant sell Zinchenko then he can be a backup in midfield for cup games and we can try to sell him again next summer when clubs have more money after financial hit this year.

I think last night showed left back is a point of urgency. Mendy was good first half but got a chasing after the break.
This often means that the LCB gets pulled out of position because they have to cover/help out the left back, putting pressure on the rest to fill in.

As long as Pep is at the club he will always favours the more attacking full back

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.